Sign in to follow this  
Animal

I am now officially a switcher...

Well, after wanting one for at least the last couple of years, I am finally a mac owner. I've been waiting and waiting and trying to find ways to justify spending the money on a 20" iMac, but the time just never seemed quite right. Then of course, came the intel announcement, then the new imac and mbp, and now finally, the macbook. Pricepoint, technology and usability were all looking good, so yesterday after much hmmming and hawwing over ram, hard drives, warranties, etc. I walked into my closest apple store and bought myself a white 2.0ghz macbook.

I didn't upgrade anything on it through apple, which is why I went to the apple store. Current plans include maxing out the ram at some point, and a definite upgrade to the hard drive as well. The reason i didn't order online with a bigger hard drive is a) I didn't want to wait for shipping. (I want my toys NOW, dang it! haha), and B) I plan on buying an external case for the current hard drive when I get my larger one. Since apple's basically charging the same price to upgrade the drives as the open market charges to buy them outright, it's almost like I'm getting a 60gb hard drive for the price of the new external drive case.

I'll post up some first impressions in the hardware section: I'll title it "Switcher's first macbook impressions". See ya there.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear what you think of your new Mac.

Welcome to the real world. You are no longer in the Matrix.

I'd love to know what you think of the graphics in the MB, I am thinking of getting one but the graphics card is the only question, not that i'm a big gamer but I dabble sometimes, mainly for graphics apps.

Welcome to the Mac.

real

I can't comment on the graphics too much just yet. Right now my real bottleneck is no doubt my RAM, but I'm waiting for a 1gb stick to get here, so that should speed things up a bit. Also, I've just finished a track day on my SV1000 with a whole bunch of friends, and we've got tonnes of photos, and videos from the grandstands and on-board the bikes, so I've got a nice iMovie HD project coming up as soon as I can pool all that media together.

I'll comment more on the graphics in the future. Can't comment on games, though. I've got consoles for gaming, and I do too much of that as it is. I'm going to try to keep the MacBook game-free if I can hold out...