Sign in to follow this  
msteitz

error 9806, cannot connect to server

Hi. My son has encountered a stubborn problem connecting to iTunes music store: error 9806, cannot connect to server. He doesn't remember doing anything in particular to get the problem, but it now happens every attempt. He upgraded to iTunes 4.9 but it didn't help. I couldn't find anything on Apple support site. Anybody else encounter this?

Thanks

Marty

Update - found that everything was fine until he came to visit us and joined my wireless network. That's when he had the problem. All other Internet connections were fine for him on my wireless network, including browsing, email. He didn't purchase anything but instead waited until he got back to his place and connected to iTunes music store back via his DSL line. Again, all other Internet connectivity appears fine, but he still gets the iTunes "cannot connect to server" error. Let me know if anybody else has encountered this and found a fix...

Thanks!

Marty

Update - I discovered he can log in as administrator and connect to the iTunes music store. I'm having him repair permissions, we'll see if that does it.

We repaired permissions to no avail - anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Marty

New details trickling in - he has keychain problems. I suspect that's at the root of the problem. I'm going to go elsewhere in the forum to explore fixing that....

Thanks

Marty

Deleted keychain file and this problem, as well as others keychain related, disappeared. That's all folks!