Sign in to follow this  
powerpc

Why more R.A.M?

I am contemplating (with my wallet) as a student whether i want more ram. How much difference does it make. I have a 12" powerbook currenty has 512mb of ram i was considering a 1 gig card to bring it up to 1.256gb of ram. I've been looking for a speed upgrade.

From my experience you'll see a huge increase in speed. Especially if you always have multiple applications open.

I just upgraded my MacBook from 512MB to 1GB and saw a huge increase in speed.

Check OWC (Macsales.com) or newegg.com.

I recommend OWC (macsales.com) as well

Here is a RAM comparison Chart

256 to 512 Huge Difference

512 to 1 GB Pretty nice speed increase especially if you use pro apps.

1GB to 1.5 GB slight increase

1 GB to 2 GB Minor Difference. may not even need the extra RAM unless your photoshopping, using FCP, Motion, and dreamwweaver at the same time.

Overall I think your decision for a RAM increase is good, I was thinking of doing the same thing!

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/

1 GB to 2 GB Minor Difference. may not even need the extra RAM unless your photoshopping, using FCP, Motion, and dreamwweaver at the same time.

Overall I think your decision for a RAM increase is good, I was thinking of doing the same thing!

I would only add that 512 to 1 GB is, in my opinion, also a huge increase. I awlays recomed getting 1 GB but never more than that. After 1GB the price/speed differential takes a nose dive and you pay a lot of money for not much of a noticeable difference in speed.

I upgraded my powerbook from 512->1.25Gb and noticed a big improvement.

This is especially true when switching apps and if you have the bad habit that I do of not closing apps.

To be honest I now just hide apps when I am not using them. It doesn't seem to slow down the system and it is quicker that waiting for them to load again.

I would only add that 512 to 1 GB is, in my opinion, also a huge increase. I awlays recomed getting 1 GB but never more than that. After 1GB the price/speed differential takes a nose dive and you pay a lot of money for not much of a noticeable difference in speed.

It doesn't hurt to get a gig cip and keep the 256 in.

It doesn't hurt to get a gig cip and keep the 256 in.

Of course not. If you have extra throw it in. I am just saying I wouldn't care much about having more and less is, for me, unacceptable.

well just today I upgraded my iMac Core Duo from 1 gig to 2 gigs and I think I can feel the difference but cannot really say as I only used the iMac for like a day before I did the upgrade.

Now I had it running for a couple of hours, running iTunes, Mail, Firefox, Azureus, iPhoto, VLC, Quicktime and BackUp.

Right now there is really no load on the machine except that these applications are just about 20 tabs are open in Firefox, a orrent is loading and I am listining to Music.

And in the activity Monitor it says about 1,3 gig are either wired or active and only 100 MB are free.

So now I am thinking 1,5 gig would possible have been fine but I am glad I have 2 gig.

At 1 gig the Mac was running smooth but sometimes it had some hicups and now it just works no hicups at all.

So my believe is get at least 1 gig to properly use the Mac and if you can always get as much as possible.

This is especially true when switching apps and if you have the bad habit that I do of not closing apps.

To be honest I now just hide apps when I am not using them. It doesn't seem to slow down the system and it is quicker that waiting for them to load again.

Just wanted to confirm: You replaced one 256 stick with a 1gb stick, right? (I can't think of any other way to get that quantity of ram, but what do I know...) I've been trying to decide whether to buy one or two 1gb sticks. I know that the RAM works better when matched in pairs, but if one stick already has twice what my system is currently running, I can't help but notice a real increase, right?

Just wanted to confirm: You replaced one 256 stick with a 1gb stick, right? (I can't think of any other way to get that quantity of ram, but what do I know...) I've been trying to decide whether to buy one or two 1gb sticks. I know that the RAM works better when matched in pairs, but if one stick already has twice what my system is currently running, I can't help but notice a real increase, right?

yes absolutly.

My question only is and what I am not sure aout.

If you are getting a 1 GB sick it might be better to use only the 1gig stick instead of both the 1 gig and 256 MB stick.

BUt I am not quite sure and maybe you just have to test it out.

Use the machine with and without the 256 MB stick for 1 week each and see if you feel the difference.

yes absolutly.

My question only is and what I am not sure aout.

If you are getting a 1 GB sick it might be better to use only the 1gig stick instead of both the 1 gig and 256 MB stick.

BUt I am not quite sure and maybe you just have to test it out.

Use the machine with and without the 256 MB stick for 1 week each and see if you feel the difference.

No, I'm almost positive that you're still better off keeping that smaller stick in there as well....

As I understand it: you can put any ram sizes you want in there, and it'll act as it always has in other computers. BUT, if you match the ram, you get a "speed boost". Don't think of it as losing speed if the ram doesn't match; think of it as getting free speed if the ram does match.

For example, if I replace a 256 stick with a 1gb stick. I'll lose the "speed boost" of having matched pairs. My guess is that it'll be more than overcome however, by the much larger capacity of the new ram. :D

MacAddict recently did a test on RAM on a Mac Mini and they found that matching the pairs of RAM doesn't really do that much for you

MacAddict recently did a test on RAM on a Mac Mini and they found that matching the pairs of RAM doesn't really do that much for you

Fine by me! 'cause I just ordered a 120gb drive and one stick of 1gb ram. Plus, I just bought an external case from ebay for my 60gb drive that came in the macbook...

....plus that bitolithic case earlier today...

Wow! Been an expensive day! I think I'd better get ready for work now... :oops: