Sign in to follow this  
belloc

Play/Pause Icon on iPod nano is gone

I have a silly little problem that I can't find an answer to. Recently I left my nano in my pocket without having first switched it to 'Hold'. When I pulled it out, some song was playing (which is fine), but also, the Play/Pause icon in the upper left corner of the screen was replaced with a "right double arrow" icon (like a fastforward symbol on a VCR) like this: >>

This icon is there no matter what state the iPod is in. In all other respects, it seems to function normally, but I'd like to know what setting got switched such that this double arrow icon is now there forever.

I've tried searching this forum and others, and I'm not having any luck finding anyone with the same problem. I've pored through all of the options on the iPod itself (in the menus) and I can't figure out what is going on. Anybody know?

Did you try resetting your iPod?

Well, I'm sure that would work, but I'm not sure it needs to come to that. It's not as if the nano is unresponsive, but rather that there's a strange and unrecognizeable icon on the screen. The ipod is perfectly functional, but I'm just trying to find out what this weird icon means, and how it got there. I'm not as interested in making it just go away (which a reset would certainly do) as I am in finding out why it's there in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Well, I'm sure that would work, but I'm not sure it needs to come to that.

You still might want to try it. After all, you are only talking about a Nano. How long would it really take you to reinstall 4GB of music?

- MT

You still might want to try it. After all, you are only talking about a Nano. How long would it really take you to reinstall 4GB of music?

- MT

I think your are talking about restoring the iPod. I was referring to resetting it by holding the menu and select buttons. It just takes a few seconds.

No, we're talking about the same thing... and I do agree with you.

- MT

belloc does have a good point though. I'm also interested in finding out what caused this.

Just a bug, reboot the ipod and it should be fine.

belloc does have a good point though. I'm also interested in finding out what caused this.

If you hold down the foward button while the iPod is playing music then it happens.

No, we're talking about the same thing... and I do agree with you.

- MT

Yes, we're all talking about a reset and not a restore. Part of me doesn't want to resort to this because I want to figure it out and fix it myself (or with the help of the forum). But yeah, resetting and putting all the content back on wouldn't take any time or effort at all.

If you hold down the foward button while the iPod is playing music then it happens.

Yes! That's the icon I'm talking about. And holding forward down again makes it go away for good, and now I'm back to normal (thanks for the solution). I don't normally forward my way through songs that way (I press the center button and wheel my way around), so I'd never seen the ">>" icon before.

But it's weird: normally when you hold the forward button down, the ">>" comes up just as long as you're holding down the button, and then it reverts to the play ">" arrow again when you release it. Somehow mine got stuck on ">>", even when I was playing and/or pausing the audio.

Anyway, thanks again, everything is back to normal. I still don't know what caused it to stick like that, but...

Hey, thanks for not giving in and resetting like I suggested! I learned something new from this!

Hey, thanks for not giving in and resetting like I suggested! I learned something new from this!

No problem. I always like to see forums as a sort of permanent record (rather than just a mere advice/help center). That way if someone has this happen in the future, they'll have a statement of the problem and solution(s) from beginning to end for them to follow and learn from. Thanks for the feedback from everyone for this relatively minor and overall pretty insignificant issue.

Very cool. I had never seen this icon either. I'll mark this as lesson one for today.

This bug actually has occured on my ipod photo also. And it goes away after a rebooting of the ipod. Clearly just a bug in the ipod software, suppose someone should file a bug complaint to apple, however that's done.