Sign in to follow this  
patkins

Buying a mac from apple.com, macbook ram and govnt discount?

Hi Folks,

love the mac cast. I used to own one of the first Macs, and now am coming back...a few questions...

1. I want to buy a new white 2.0 ghz mac with a 100 gig hard drive...how long is the turn around time when I buy a macbook from apple.com?

2. Is one gig enough to run pararells with xp or should I get 2 gigs from OWC?

3. Does anyone know how much the government employee discount is? How do I verify that I am a bonifide local (county) employee when I special order a mac online?

Any assistance appreciated..

Paul

when you go to the store you scroll down the othe stores around the world. there is a store that is us government. click that you can get the discount and there you go.

Wow I was just about to ask all the same questions because all of those really apply to me because I am looking forward to buying my first Mac in the form of a Macbook with the hope of getting it with 2 Ghz and I was planning on just getting 1 GB of RAM and Staying with the normal 80 GB HD space but the answer to this question might change my mind. I hope someone has a good answer. How much is it to upgrade the HD or the R

AM right when you buy it anyway?

Wow I was just about to ask all the same questions because all of those really apply to me because I am looking forward to buying my first Mac in the form of a Macbook with the hope of getting it with 2 Ghz and I was planning on just getting 1 GB of RAM and Staying with the normal 80 GB HD space but the answer to this question might change my mind. I hope someone has a good answer. How much is it to upgrade the HD or the R

AM right when you buy it anyway?

If you are getting 80GB HD I would go with 2 GB Ram. The thought is you can never have too much Ram on your machine. Two is a happy medium and it will function much better. Just a thought.

Indeed, more RAM is better, especially if you want to run something like Parallels. You can always add an external drive, and/or use something like a Network Attached Storage device (NAS) if you're in a multi-computer household.

Indeed, more RAM is better, especially if you want to run something like Parallels. You can always add an external drive, and/or use something like a Network Attached Storage device (NAS) if you're in a multi-computer household.

I would go for the extra RAM, but I never buy it from Apple. I have been buying RAM for 10 years from Data Memory Systems, never had a problem with any of their stuff.

http://www.datamem.com

roog

Yeah I agree with guy above, put the base RAM in from apple (what ever comes with the mac normally), then buuy some compatible RAM from a third party its way cheaper, just as good and easy to install. Ive used Crucial for my Mac RAM and its been great and they have a go tool to help you select the right type.

PS Welcome to the mac (again) :)