Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patkins

New Macbook, 1 gig or two?

21 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I"m a about to be new switcher...I know I am going to upgrade the ram, but do I really need more than 1 gig? I have a gig of ram in my windows desktop and that's been great.

Anticipated use of the Macbook will be some photo and dvd creation using Ilife suite. I also plan to use bootcamp or parralels to use some windows only apps I use occasionaly. I may also be editing movies that my son in law has made and turning them into dvd, again, with Ilife.

I was planning on just special ordering the one gig from Apple when I buy the macbook, along with the 100 gig hard drive.

So, does it make sense to just keep to one gig for this consumer level laptop?

thanks in advance

Paul

brief answer :

the more ram the merrier

apple ram is expensive, always look at the likes of crucial for alternative pricing before you put your $$$ down

not sure about the HD issue

I'd recommend doing what I did. Just buy it with stock ram, and then buy yourself a stick of 1gb. You'll end up with 1 1/4 gb of ram, and for not that much money. Also of note, I did the same with the hard drive. I ordered a 120gb to replace Apple's 60gb, and now I'll have a 60gb external. :lol:

I'd recommend doing what I did. Just buy it with stock ram, and then buy yourself a stick of 1gb. You'll end up with 1 1/4 gb of ram, and for not that much money. Also of note, I did the same with the hard drive. I ordered a 120gb to replace Apple's 60gb, and now I'll have a 60gb external. :lol:

you don't need to install matched pairs of RAM? that is good to know if it is true.

you don't need to install matched pairs of RAM? that is good to know if it is true.

No you don't. You might get a performance boost if you do though.

Anticipated use of the Macbook will be some photo and dvd creation using Ilife suite. I also plan to use bootcamp or parralels to use some windows only apps I use occasionaly.

Your decision on the RAM should depend on which way you intend to run Windows. If you use Boot Camp then you will never be running Windows and OS X at the same time, 1GB of RAM should be enough. On the other hand if you use Parallels you would only be able to run Windows while OS X is already running. In that case 2GB of Ram would be better IMHO.

I've got both Boot Camp and Parallels installed on my iMac, and I doubt if I'll ever use Boot Camp again. I prefer Parallels because why would I want to exit from OS X?

I guess it is your reason for wanting to run Windows that is the deciding factor. If you want to play games you'll want Boot Camp. If you just occasionally want to run a Windows program in conjunction with something you are doing in OS X, then Parallels makes more sense.

You are not likely to find you have too much RAM, so on that basis alone buying more won't hurt.

What I amgoing to recommend is like some previous suggestions:

Go here and get the chip. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...g/5300DDR2S1GB/

Remove one of the original 256's

Place the modue in step one inside the empty slot.

Sell the 256 you pulled out.

You get a total of 1.25 GHZ of RAM

You can alo get a 1 GB kit (2x512) for $99, if you would prefer that, but you would get 256 less RAM.

I DO NOT Recommend apple's option because you can sell apple's original chips and get a little of yur investment back :)

If You think you need 2 GB (hardly anybody does), then there is a 2 GB kit http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...g/53DR2SPAIR2G/

although I think 2 GB is unecesssary, unless you use photoshop, dreamweaver, FCP, Motion, and you regular programs such as safari mail, ect, I use those apps, just not at the same time, 24 hours a day :)

You got to remember you're running with an Intel chipset here, it's almost bulletproof, if it's DDR2 it'll run, Intel chipsets are known to not being picky, and being dead reliable.

You'll lose some performance going with the single stick, but if you can only afford the 1 GB stick, and plan to update to 2 GB later it's a good way to go.

As a new MacBook owner, I can tell you that two is definitely better then one.

- MT

As a new MacBook owner, I can tell you that two is definitely better then one.

- MT

but for a regular home user is it worth the extra hundred bucks?

Hi folks,

I"m a about to be new switcher...I know I am going to upgrade the ram, but do I really need more than 1 gig? I have a gig of ram in my windows desktop and that's been great.

Anticipated use of the Macbook will be some photo and dvd creation using Ilife suite. I also plan to use bootcamp or parralels to use some windows only apps I use occasionaly. I may also be editing movies that my son in law has made and turning them into dvd, again, with Ilife.

I was planning on just special ordering the one gig from Apple when I buy the macbook, along with the 100 gig hard drive.

thanks in advance

Paul

My main point is for your moderate use, 1 GB would be fine. Even 512 would work. I use Final cut pro, motion, photoshop, ect. with 512 Ram and it works fine. (big surprise ehh....) You are using programs MUCH LESS ADVANCED and less Ram Hogging then I am. I recommend at least 512, but 2Gb for a moderate home user is crazy. (and a big waste of money)

for maximum performance you can get 1Gb, but I highly doubt you need 2 GB. Maybe in the future you will have programs that require more RAM, but now, even 1 GB is a large amount for moderate use.

I think I repeated my statement a few times. Get 1Gb if you want the pedal to the metal, but 2 GB is uneccesary.

1 GB will run anything.

2 GB will run two of anything simultaneously.

If using Rosetta apps then definately get the 2gig.

I use both Office and Dreamweaver. When I was working on stock memory, my iMac was noticeably sluggy with Office and DW open. This really did improve with 2gigs.

I agree that if you want to use parallels then get 2 gigs. You may find that you get annoyed rebooting via Boot Camp and prefer to use parallels!

Apple's RAM is really costly and the decision can be made after buying the Macbook. Just buy the Macbook with stock memory and then add 2 gigs later when your wallet has had time to recover! I would be tempted to do the same with the HDD too. Just get the stock drive. Wait until you have filled it up, by which time there will be bigger faster and cheaper drives.

I prettymuch agree with the suggestions here, especially about not getting it from Apple. 1gb upgrade online is $100, you can outright buy 1gb for that much or less. When I bought mine at the Apple Store, they told me $300 to have them upgrade to 1gb in the store. I said no offense, but I'll do it myself.

I had originally planned on 1gb, but after trying to use some Rosetta apps and seeing what a memory pig it is, I ordered 2. Probably a knee-jerk reaction, but I could consider it future-proofing. Will definately come in handy when I start running Parallels because I could give Windows 1gb, and OS X would still have its own 1gb.

Hi folks,

thanks in advance

Paul

HE IS NOT USING ROSETTA IN HIS STATEMENT!!!!!!!

He says he is using "iLife and windows" in fact he even notes:

consumer level laptop?

You might think he/she needs 2 gigs for rosetta. I DONT SEE ANYTHING IN THERE ABOUT ROSETTA!! I know he is running windows, but somebody needs to look at HIS/Her usage ansd decifer it on that basis.

I am often caught up by the question of "1 gig or two?" because theres always 1.25 (a 256 stock and additional 1 GB) or 1.5 gigs (1GB and 512, both seperately bought)

All this person NEEDS is 1 Gb. If they are using iLife, they usually win't need a whole lot of RAM. as windows, you don;t need much of anything to run that. . This person no doubtedly would probably have 1.25 GHZ. You can run windows and mac on that perfectly! Windows doesn't need a gig anyways to run!! I used gto have boxes running windows at 256 RAM. They ran fine (except for windows errors and trojans and such) We dedicate so much to windows nowadays. It's like saying OS 9 needs 2 gigs to run. I think for consumer use, 512 does fine, but in this person's instance, i will recommend the gig to bring a total of 1.25 gigs. That will run excellent.

I did mention that my ordering 2gb was probably a knee-jerk reaction, and that having it for Parallels was simply handy, not vital.

However, it may be good to stick with matched pairs in this case as I've heard due to the integrated graphics, it really needs that interleaving. There's mention of it here at Macworld: http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks...okfaq/index.php and there was a benchmark somewhere showing how bad it actually was, but naturally now that I want it I can't find it again. It may be something to try out, comparing the performance of the MacBook with a single 1gb module and single 512mb module as compared to a matched pair of 512mb. I'd be extremely curious to see that tested extensively. It does make some sense that in a case where your system memory is being shared by the graphics chip not just in terms of space but also bandwidth on the bus that you would want every bit of throughput possible.

Update on my situation (for comparison to what others are planning):

I've now got the single 1gb stick installed, and one of Apple's original 256 sticks still there as well. The computer is definitely running quicker. it's not "Holy crap, look at that!" fast, but it's definitely better than the original configuration.

yes, the ram works better in matched pairs, but it's not necessary. I've basically given up the "speed boost" that matched pairs enables, but given that one of my sticks now has double what my system used to have, I think I'm still way ahead.

And to top it all off, I can't wait till ram prices drop even further before I max out my ram with another 1gb stick. (AND, I didn't waste money on any 512 sticks...)

i bought 2 gigs off of ebay for my macbook and it is screaming fast now. i also have a 500 GB external HD and another 300 GB external HD. yes its probably true that i dont NEED 2 gigs but it never hurts.

I also plan to use bootcamp or parralels to use some windows only apps I use occasionaly.

HE IS NOT USING ROSETTA IN HIS STATEMENT!!!!!!!

it says right there that he might use parralels.

I would get the 1 gig stick, so you have 1.25gb, try that for a while. If you like it, keep it, if its not fast enough, get another gig.

Update on my situation (for comparison to what others are planning):

I've now got the single 1gb stick installed, and one of Apple's original 256 sticks still there as well. The computer is definitely running quicker. it's not "Holy crap, look at that!" fast, but it's definitely better than the original configuration.

yes, the ram works better in matched pairs, but it's not necessary. I've basically given up the "speed boost" that matched pairs enables, but given that one of my sticks now has double what my system used to have, I think I'm still way ahead.

And to top it all off, I can't wait till ram prices drop even further before I max out my ram with another 1gb stick. (AND, I didn't waste money on any 512 sticks...)

I got the macbook pro when it came with a 1GB single stick config so I guess Apple doesn't mind foregoing the speed boost either.