Sign in to follow this  
Macman5123

Cluttering Desktop?

(This is not an advertisement)

Is your desktop cluttering with windows all the time. Safari here, Mail there, iTunes here, Pages there. Then you need Virtue.

http://virtuedesktops.info/

Virtue is a cool app that gives you different desktops for different things. One is the main, then theres browsing, and mail. I have iTunes and temperary apps in main, iChat and Mail in mail and safari in browsing.

This was in the maccast a while back and when my desktop satrted ketting cluttered i remebered.

When you download it check out the preferences to change the triggers.

I use you control: Desktops myself. It is pretty good.

http://www.yousoftware.com/desktops/desktops.php

I'm using YouControl Desktops on my 2 Intel Macs and Desktop Manager on my PPC Macs.

Desktop Manager does not work on Intel Macs, at least not for me, so I took Kerry's suggestion and tried YouControl Desktops.

It does seem as though YouControl Desktops interferes with cloning the boot drive on my Intel iMac. so I just quit it to do a backup.

do any of these work with deskshade?

do any of these work with deskshade?

From just a quick look at the description of deskshade here, it seems the two programs have related but different functions.

I'd guess that deskshade would be more likely to work with Desktop Manager than with YouControl Desktop. The YouControl product defaults to creating X unique desktops, each possibly with it's own icons, so each in a different file folder. Desktop Manager does not do as much creation of new files so it might integrate better with deskshade.

This is just speculation. Please let us know how it works out if you try this.

Ahh yes. I thought expose was a solution to this problem. ;)

Expose is a help, but the desktop can get so crowded that it becomes useless. I like to separate things depending on what I am doing, like movie/video, development, email/surfing, etc.

Expose is a help, but the desktop can get so crowded that it becomes useless. I like to separate things depending on what I am doing, like movie/video, development, email/surfing, etc.

Right!

I have one desktop devoted to web surfing,

one for doing Who Is lookups on IP addresses that appear in my web server error log,

one for email,

one for an SSH session into my web server,

one for the web server control panel, one for Macrodobe DreamWrecker,

one for other uses.

It can, but that's why you use application mode expose.

I don't like the virtual desktop much, why? Well it gives much of the task of sorting out windows to the actual user, who's left to plan themselves which desktop to put the window on. I don't think that sort of design is an approach a company that cares about ease of use should do.