Sign in to follow this  
MitchA

The eMacCast

Hello fellow MacCast Listeners! You may have noticed that on the blog, there are links to the new eMacCast. This version of the MacCast will be coming out a day or two behind the MacCast, because I need time to put it together, and then Adam needs time to get it uploaded. It is divided into chapters to make it easy to navigate if you want to go back and listen to a certain segment again, and there are links built into the album art area in iTunes that update during the different segments. Make sure you have Album art enabled in iTunes so you can take advantage of this! I hope that the eMacCast is useful to some listeners, and I want to say that I am sure that it will get better over time. If you have any comments, suggestions, etc. You can either reply to this topic, or email me mitch@sql4u.net. I would love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Mitch

Awesome!! Thanks for taking the time. It definatly enhances the 'Cast.

However, I think that not everyone will take advantage of the features: the reason is that some people listen while driving or doing dishes, and like a video-iPod, they don't or can't look at the screen.

I really dig it though. I should also note that rather then doing the Advanced>Add Podcast copy and paste, just drag the link from Safari directly into iTunes. That's it.

Awesome!! Thanks for taking the time. It definatly enhances the 'Cast.

However, I think that not everyone will take advantage of the features: the reason is that some people listen while driving or doing dishes, and like a video-iPod, they don't or can't look at the screen.

I really dig it though. I should also note that rather then doing the Advanced>Add Podcast copy and paste, just drag the link from Safari directly into iTunes. That's it.

I'm glad you like it. Adam and I aren't expecting everyone to use the eMacCast. It is just providing another alternative for those that can use it. I think at this point, most people will just continue to use the regular MacCast feed, but the eMacCast feed is there for people who would want it. But thank you very much for your kind comments!

Hello fellow MacCast Listeners! You may have noticed that on the blog, there are links to the new eMacCast. This version of the MacCast will be coming out a day or two behind the MacCast, because I need time to put it together, and then Adam needs time to get it uploaded. It is divided into chapters to make it easy to navigate if you want to go back and listen to a certain segment again, and there are links built into the album art area in iTunes that update during the different segments. Make sure you have Album art enabled in iTunes so you can take advantage of this! I hope that the eMacCast is useful to some listeners, and I want to say that I am sure that it will get better over time. If you have any comments, suggestions, etc. You can either reply to this topic, or email me mitch@sql4u.net. I would love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Mitch

Cool Mitch! Did you do this with GarageBand & the Podcast Chapter Tool? I noticed they don't have one for PCs...or maybe I just missed it. (Not that I'd want to use it on a PC anyway, but was wondering if people with PCs who are doing podcasts will have this ability as well, or if they'll have to develop a tool.)

Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing the eMacCast too!

Kat

Adam and I aren't expecting everyone to use the eMacCast. It is just providing another alternative for those that can use it. I think at this point, most people will just continue to use the regular MacCast feed, but the eMacCast feed is there for people who would want it. But thank you very much for your kind comments!

Well, I plan on using both. :shock:

Kat

Cool Mitch! Did you do this with GarageBand & the Podcast Chapter Tool? I noticed they don't have one for PCs...or maybe I just missed it. (Not that I'd want to use it on a PC anyway, but was wondering if people with PCs who are doing podcasts will have this ability as well, or if they'll have to develop a tool.)

Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing the eMacCast too!

Kat

I don't believe that you can do this with Garageband. I used the ChapterTool provided by Apple. At this time it isn't available for Windows (as far as I know) because it is a terminal application. I would think that in the future, Apple or someone, will develop a windows tool.

Mitch

Adam and I aren't expecting everyone to use the eMacCast. It is just providing another alternative for those that can use it. I think at this point, most people will just continue to use the regular MacCast feed, but the eMacCast feed is there for people who would want it. But thank you very much for your kind comments!

Well, I plan on using both. :shock:

Kat

That was sort of what I was expecting for this. People can go back, and use the eMacCast, to listen to specific segments, after listening to the MacCast (non-enhanced) once.

Well, I don't know about downloading both.

I do believe that now that the 'standard' iPod has a color screen, it will allow the standard user to get into advanced podcasts, rather then being a 'rich geek' thing only.

There was a time that people had scorn for iPod photo buyers, because they were so expensive.

That was sort of what I was expecting for this. People can go back, and use the eMacCast, to listen to specific segments, after listening to the MacCast (non-enhanced) once.

This is exactly what I will end up doing. There was something that I made a mental note of this morning when I was listening to the MacCast while driving. Unfortunately, I did not make a proper mental note of it, because I could not remember exactly where it was in the show when I went back to it after getting to a computer.

By the way, what is this going to do to Adam's bandwidth bill? :)

My biggest issue with the enhanced version is it only works (for playing) in iTunes or on an iPod, since it's an AAC format. Like Mitch said it is there as an alternative. I also think it is good for those who want to go back to a specific part of a show to re-listen to a segment or for reference. I am making the eMacCast a separate feed for this reason.

This is exactly what I will end up doing. There was something that I made a mental note of this morning when I was listening to the MacCast while driving. Unfortunately, I did not make a proper mental note of it, because I could not remember exactly where it was in the show when I went back to it after getting to a computer.

By the way, what is this going to do to Adam's bandwidth bill? :)

I believe that Adam has unlimited bandwidth for the feeds, so probably nothing.

I checked out eMacCast this afternoon and all I can say is that this is fabulous! It is perfect. I was able to go to a specific section and re-listen to something that I heard this morning. 8)

I checked out eMacCast this afternoon and all I can say is that this is fabulous! It is perfect. I was able to go to a specific section and re-listen to something that I heard this morning. 8)
I am glad you like it!

Today's is done, so expect it to show up in the feed soon!

I have just one request: please, try to publish it as close as possible to the "normal" podcast.

Right now i'm downloading both, mainly because i want to listen to it as soon as i can. And this way i end up downloading (and listening) to the mp3 one, and then downloading the aac one just because i love tech stuff and i was one of those people who pushed for a enhanced maccast :lol:

I'd really like to be able to switch compleately to the enhanced one and leave the mp3, but i could do it only if it comes out in the 24h after the normal one.

That said... if you need help i'm here :)

Well, it is an issue of both Adam and me being available at the same time, because once I finish it, then Adam needs to get it added to the feed. I will try to have my part of it done within 24 hours so it can be ready sooner. Sometimes things come up though, which delays me a bit. But in the future, I will continue to try very hard to push it out within 24 hours.

Not only does an indexed podcast make it easier to go back to find a specific topic again, the related URLs in the artwork are handy. I usually listen in the mornings while drinking coffee and playing email catch-up. I normally have a browser open to follow-up on something I hear that tweeks my interest. The embedded URLs help with my fat fingered typing....

Thanks for a great listener services.

-- D

If you have any comments, suggestions, etc. You can either reply to this topic, or email me mitch@sql4u.net. I would love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Mitch

Mitch, I absolutely LOVE this!! You have done a super job with dividing up Adam's maccast & then adding artwork & links. You rock! Thanks so much!!

Kat

If you have any comments, suggestions, etc. You can either reply to this topic, or email me mitch@sql4u.net. I would love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Mitch

Mitch, I absolutely LOVE this!! You have done a super job with dividing up Adam's maccast & then adding artwork & links. You rock! Thanks so much!!

Kat

Thanks for the kind comments! I am glad you like it.

Yea... it definitely rules. I was so entrenched in something else last night while my podcasts were playing that I did not even realize until the music was playing that I had totally missed all of the MacCast.

However, I have the eMacCast to go back and listen to. :)