Sign in to follow this  
Eye_Doc

Yellow stains on White Macbooks

Saw this on the Unofficial Apple Weblog here.

My Powerbook has loads of pitting from my (highly toxic) sweaty palms and now maybe I will have to avoid getting a macbook too!

Perhaps this is what you pay the extra money for when you get the black macbook!

is apple fixing this? Maybe they need to use a different brand polycarbonate.

this is why you dont buy first generation harware. apple will ahve to change the plastic or this could be very bad for them i no i would send it back. :) :)

this is why you dont buy first generation harware. apple will ahve to change the plastic or this could be very bad for them i no i would send it back. :) :)

what he said :D

I don't get why everyone wants an intel so much, in particular a macbook. You can get a powerbook on ebay for the price, and you wouldn't have a GMA 950!!

I understand iMac buyers who want to upgrade their mac (toss out the blueberry colored 333) but some people are gettin intel just because it's out (especially macbooks) but I think it would be better to grab an old PB (for a lower price of course). want the camera? get an iSight and ask your friend foor a copy of photo booth. Im not promoting anyone to pay full price for an old PB, but if you are thinking about getting a macbook, maybe you should consider getting an old PB. The only exception to his is if you are a normal consumer who uses iLife and not much third party software. then you would be better off with a macbook. but those wo use things like the adobe suite of apps would be better off with ppc.

My iBook is not exactly white anymore (nothing around people's hands will stay perfectly white), but it sure doesn't do this! What did they do to the Macbooks that causes this? Did they switch to the shitty scratch-able iPod material that is really bad, but can be both white or black, so not it is just a different thing altogether? The ibooks worked fine in terms of nice, bombproof cases, why didn't they did warp it for the new screen and components, and ship it, not make it from a different polycarbonate?

it looks like slightly different polycarbonate to me.

I haven't seen any hints of discoloration in my white MacBook yet, but I'll definately post here if it starts to show up. One theory I saw posted at Macintouch was that the heat from the MacBook was cooking the skin oils into the plastic, and the MacBook is certainly hotter than the G3 iBooks my classmates in art school had. I've never had personal experience with the G4 iBook though.

I replaced my TiBook/867 with a MacBook because one of the biggest uses for it was tethered to my TV watching anime fansubs, and the Ti totally choked on h.264 in MKV, as well as some h.264 in MP4/MOV containers. The MacBook powers through no problem in the Intel build of VLC, even with stock RAM. It's been said in the VLC support forums that the poor MKV performance is due to the MKV libraries in ffmpeg (which both VLC and mplayer use) being poorly optimized for PPC, so I was unsure if even a faster G4 would solve the issue. Plus, this will allow me to use things like Virtual Dub through Parallels.

I don't get why everyone wants an intel so much, in particular a macbook. You can get a powerbook on ebay for the price, and you wouldn't have a GMA 950!!

I understand iMac buyers who want to upgrade their mac (toss out the blueberry colored 333) but some people are gettin intel just because it's out (especially macbooks) but I think it would be better to grab an old PB (for a lower price of course). want the camera? get an iSight and ask your friend foor a copy of photo booth. Im not promoting anyone to pay full price for an old PB, but if you are thinking about getting a macbook, maybe you should consider getting an old PB. The only exception to his is if you are a normal consumer who uses iLife and not much third party software. then you would be better off with a macbook. but those wo use things like the adobe suite of apps would be better off with ppc.

The Macbook will be faster than the powerbook at running universal applications.

this is all part of apples plans to get us to pay the premium for the black model whichin my opinion looks better anyway.

this is all part of apples plans to get us to pay the premium for the black model whichin my opinion looks better anyway.

too true, if it is then it is working because i am now going to get a black one.

The Macbook will be faster than the powerbook at running universal applications.

But not everything's universal. Most software isn't.

will be faster at running universal applications

Do note the "will"

they are trying to fix the problem. I VERY DoUBT that they would make these a lower quality product than blacks. They have black avaliable, but they are not trying to get us to get black. When this happens, they have to replace the paneling, and that is COSTING THEM MONEY. since we are paying more even for white,)I doubt they would do something like that.

My iBook is not exactly white anymore (nothing around people's hands will stay perfectly white), but it sure doesn't do this! What did they do to the Macbooks that causes this? Did they switch to the shitty scratch-able iPod material that is really bad, but can be both white or black, so not it is just a different thing altogether? The ibooks worked fine in terms of nice, bombproof cases, why didn't they did warp it for the new screen and components, and ship it, not make it from a different polycarbonate?

I have a 14" iBook as well that I got last June and it is as white today as when I first took it out of the packaging. I think this shows that it probably does have something to do with materials but also the user. I personally always wash my hands before I touch my iBook and I think that has definitely helped in keeping it the same white color as when I got it and I don't really rest my palms on the palm rest either because I actually find that uncomfortable. Also, everybody's body chemistry is different and that also plays a role, but I think it's obvious that the MacBooks are indeed a little more likely to turn color so as long as people wash their hands before use and try not to rest as much on the palm rest, I think some of this can be avoided.

I don't think this is at all a major widespread problem. When I searched for "Macbook discoloration" I only found one user who has uploaded photos of such a problem on flickr, despite the length of time that has already elapsed. So to me it seems like either a defect in only a very small batch of MacBooks or a problem that occurs with a very small number of MacBook users.