Sign in to follow this  
mrweasel

Getting my first Mac

Firstly, I'm not a switcher, yet. I posting here because I feel that I need some advise, regarding buying a Mac.

I was considering getting a Mac Mini some time in the future, but now that my PC died, I thought that I might as well be looking into getting a Mac, rather than getting a new PC and then a Mac Mini later.

The big question is of cause, which Mac should I get, an iBook, a MacBook, the Mini og maybe a regular iMac. Sitting at the dinner table or in the sofa with a laptop isn't really my favorite working position, so I don't see that I need a laptop, if I'm going to be sitting by the desk anyway. Also, I would be adding a regular keyboard and mouse anyway, I not like the small keyboards or touchpad. So no need to be looking into a iBooks and MacBooks.

The Minis are dirt cheap, if you look at the hardware your getting, and I have a nice 17" Samsung TFT monitor. However, I am a bit concerned about getting enough speed to run Mac OS X in a... fun way. I know that I would need to get at least 1GB memory. If someone is using a Mini as their primary workstation, I would really like to know what you think. Is it worth it' or should I just get an iMac?

I could get an iMac, but that would leave me stealing my girlfriends computer for the next two months, as I can't really afford it rigth now, but month of saving up, and perhaps a small trip to the bank, should cover it.

If I go for the iMac I have the choice of either the 20" or the 17". I saw the 20" in a store a few weeks ago, and it looked oh so nice, but it also costs a bit more. My question here is, does the additional desktop real estate make up for the additional cost?

Of cause I'm the only one who can tell if I'll be happier with the iMac, but I would love to hear the the opinion of you guys.

Many people select the Mac Mini as a gateway drug, I mean first Mac. Since you already like the monitor you have it makes good sense to go the Mac Mini route. Otherwise I would suggest the iMac as a hook, I mean first Mac.

If you get the CoreDuo model I doubt very much that you will be disappointed with the speed. I received my first Mac about 13 months ago, a G4 Mac Mini, and it is a perfectly useful computer. I'd expect the CoreDuo Mac Mini to be much much faster.

And I'm not addicted to Mac computers. I could stop buying them anytime. I only have 5. Why are you talking about an intervention? :mrgreen:

I got the 17" imac g5 in august 05,and its been great,my first mac by the way.The screen is more than capable for home use,expose gives you quick access to all your open folders and apps.OS X is outstanding,its a great machine.Getting an extra stick of ram is a must,check out crucial for a good price as apples ram tends to be a little over priced.

I have a 1st generation mini, my in-laws have a 1st generation iMac G5. They are both great machines. The mini is noticeably quieter. With the Intel versions, there is a speed difference, of course, some folks are upgrading those minis in mighty powerful ways!! That's a nice advantage of the move to Intel! :D

Personally, based on your comments, I'd go with the mini with the core duo processor.