Sign in to follow this  
qwerty69

Which MacBook

I'm interested in purchasing a 2.0ghz Macbook (to complement my Intel Mac Mini), and am at a loss as to which model to buy.

Initially, I wanted to purchase the Blackbook but decided that the extra money was better in my pocket and that I'd opt for the White.

This was until I heard of the discoloration issues and now I'm stumped.

So lets open this one up to a debate; which should I buy, White, Black or push my budget and opt for the Macbook Pro?

I didn't hear about discoloration issues. The white computers can accumulate dirt, but I have not heard of any real problems...

One thing to consider here... The black MacBook is going to be "better" than the white one as far as tech specs go!

what are your needs? what do you have now? Do you really need an intel product now? Remem,ber it's a first-gen product.......

I know that wite is having discoloration problems when you sweat, but for the price for an upgd. to black you can get: If you keep the standard 40 GB drive: 2GB nano, or if you upgd. to 60 GB drive just like the black model, a 1 GB iPod nano. So, you can have a white macbook and an iPod nano, or just a black macbook. what do you think is the better deal?

Answer the question on your needs and usage and ill answer the macbook pro question, as well as make a few moore comments.

I'll throw in an endorsement for white. I haven't had any discoloration issues on mine at all after 2 weeks, and I cart my laptop (er... notebook) everywhere. I had considered the black just because I have a thing for black, but when I saw it in person the overall effect is the same as standard issue black PC laptops. I figure that model is aimed at business users who have to fit into that rank and file, hence the premium. I do highly suggest buying memory. I put off ordering some, and it's biting me in the butt since at 512mb Rosetta apps are choked hard. The PPC version of VLC is nigh useless for me, which is a pain since there is still that green triangle/displacement bug with some files in the Intel build. I ordered 2gb of RAM last night 2nd day air... I can't wait.

BTW, the white 2.0 comes stock with a 60gb drive, while the black gets an 80gb, just to alleviate potential confusion.

Go white. You can upgrade it yourself, and save the money that would've been spent on the black one. You should probably buy AppleCare anyway, so I wouldn't even worry about the discoloration issue. It seems to be a very limited problem, and one that Apple's taking care of anyway. Btw, my macbook is still looking great...

If you REALLY like the black, I'd consider it - but for my money, the white was perfect. I wanted everybody to know it was a mac, anyway.

Of course, a MBP would be really sweet....but out of my price range. And let's be honest, I don't need that kind of power anyway.

Only some of the macbooks have discoloration. My friend has a white macbook and is fine. Even if Apple still hasn't replaced the bad plastic, they have been fixing discolored macbooks, so if something goes wrong, you're not stuck. Just get AppleCare and you'll be fine.

I know that RAM upgrades are quite easy in the MacBook. What about the hard drive? One could get the white MacBook 2.0 GHz with SuperDrive, add some RAM, and a 7200 RPM drive and have a very sweet machine for less than the MacBook Pro.

I'd say go with the White 2.0GHz, just before I was here I was looking at the price difference between the white and the black. If you get the white 2.0ghz, and on Apple's website bump the hard drive to a 80gig, and get Apple care you only pay $100 more for it (as opposed to the black one without) and you pay less for the white then the black if you get the black one with Applecare.