Sign in to follow this  
The Dead Herring

Xbox 360 Fan Noises

I know it's not really about a Macintosh (quite the contrary) but the xbox 360 seems to be the console of choice for gaming mac users.

I have a question about the fan speeds on the 360.

As any 360 owners here will know, the bugger is pretty noisy. Especially when playing a game from the disk drive.

However, It does get a little quieter when just running something in the dashboard like video, music, arcade games, and demos.

But how come, that when I am running a game demo from the hard drive, the fans are quieter than if it is running from a disk? Surely the demo won't be taking up any less processing power than the full fledged version stored on a disk?

using a disk requires more processing power u have more things to do like spinning the disk the laser the loading. with the harddrive its all ready loaded and then uses the harddrive to cache some of the fies requiring less processor power.

but remember these are ibm chips not intel this means they run hot and will do until ibm successfully starts shipping 65 nm chips which intel has already successfully done. so look out for a a quiter more efficent xbox 360 later next year.

i think mac gamers like the xbox 360 because it has much the same philosphy as the mac platform all the hardware and software are interwinded much like on the mac microsoft control every aspect of the xbox.

yeah baby yeah.

I like using an XBox360 because it demotes M$ to where they belong.

For anything else serious, I use a mac!

PS There is an excellent iPod connect program you can download from the XBox360 dashboard so you can connect your iPod to the Xbox with a USB cable

PPS And check out Connect 360

Its because when you play a game from the CD drive, the processor has to decompress a hell of alot of data really fast, even the 9 GBs on the DVD aren't enough to hold the entire game so its compressed.

thank you x thats what i was thinking. also the harddrive is a laptop harddrive and requires very little power to run so doesnt generate much heat.

Usually disk drives generate more heat then Hdd's, and the media from the DVD has to be decompressed which generates heat. the demo is most likely uncompressed, and a smaller file overall, so it takes less processing power and heat, and fan speed

Thanks for your knowledge.

I already use connect360, I am waiting patiently for the video version.