Sign in to follow this  
pieman

the future for front row.

having used both windows media centre and front i have come to relalise something frontrow blows. ok maybe i was a bit vague i feel that front row was just rushed when apple realised the impact media centre was having. apple has been preaching the mac as a digital hub for years but has never did anything about it till now. so i put these question to all my fellow mac geeks.

1. do you use front row on a regular basis

2. what features would you like to incorporated into front row

3. will apple ever catch up on the features offered by windows

i look forward to your opionions.

i would love to see front row incorporate a search feature i have over a hundred ripped dvds on my system and it akes to long to find them in frontrow.

these are just my opinions no flaming thank you.

I do use front row on a regular basis. When I was on location at the photo studio for a photoshoot I would work on their desktop but have frontrow on my comp playing my music/video podcasts. Anytime I am at work and working on my comp I don't bring up front row but use the remote to play/pause change volume when people talk to me. Sometimes I open up my laptop at home and then go in the kitchen with the remote to cook or clean. I watch movie previews in frontrow. I set up the laptop on a dresser at the end of the bed and my wife and I have watched amovie that way which is much better than having the comp on the bed. I think thats about it. I love frontrow.

I use frontrow on a regular basis for watching the moutains of video i have and for watching trailers.

I would like to see TV recording included into frontrow even if its just using eyetv but in the frontrow interface

Apple doesn't need to catch up with windows media centre, apple has and always will have totally different ideas about how to make technology work and accesible while MCE is a good idea if a gave a MCE machine to my parents or grandparents they would not be able to use all the functionality in it because it is to complicated and not as straight forward as you really think remotes with lots of buttons dont work if you dont know what you are doing, you usually end up pressing the wrong one.

Where as frontrow is simple interface and simple remote there isn't much that can going wrong between pressing the menu button and getting to the video you want.

I watch videos with my laptop hooked up to the TV constantly. Front Row would be really handy here except that it's married to the formats Quicktime can deal with. Which isn't much. It works fine for music though, since there's no real stereo/CD player in my living room, everything runs through a Creative surround decoder into a set of 6.1 speakers which are really computer speakers. I just play the music over Front Row's Bonjour support from the Dell in my bedroom (which serves as media server since I stuck 380gb of storage in it). It's been handy for showing photos from my vacation, but what would really make it killer is a way to extend the formats it handles. I guess what that request really boils down to is wishing for those extensions to Quicktime. For now, 3rd party software allows me to control VLC with the Apple Remote so it's sort of okay.

married to the formats Quicktime can deal with.
Quicktime supports nearly all codecs i have yet to find something i cant get quicktime to play.

married to the formats Quicktime can deal with.
Quicktime supports nearly all codecs i have yet to find something i cant get quicktime to play.

divx theres one. speaking of remotes multibutton remotes have been around for years and people seem to be able to use them without any complication i hate the apple remote. the whole point of a remote is so that you dont have to touch the device in question the apple remote fails to do this.

Or Matroska. Matroska was the catalyst for my buying an Intel Mac, since both mplayer and VLC use ffmpeg, and ffmpeg's Matroska libraries are supposedly not very optimized for PPC. I can attest, as it was potluck if my 867 TiBook would play Matroska with something older like XviD. It would outright laugh in my face if I threw h.264 Matroska files at it.

Also, Flip4Mac doesn't yet work on Intel. Not sure about DivX and XviD Delegate.

divx theres one.
are you saying that quicktime cant play divx because i have both divx, xvid, and AC3 working through quicktime and frontrow

Front Row really really misses the TV functionality!

The 2 things that would really help FR ROCK would be support for Video_TS files(ripped from DVDs) and support for eyeTV.

The problems are that Apple want to sell movies and the studios would be really unhappy with Video_TS support, and that Apple already sell TV shows and so don't want us to get easy access to them for free.

I use Remote Buddy which allows access to FR and eyeTV with the Apple Remote. This is really cool when combined with the PVR recording fucntions of EyeTV and so means I have quick access to prerecorded programs.

The other option is Media Central which supports EyeTV and allows you to use Video_TS files.

we were talking about nativaly it can support it through third party codecs tough.

i used to use it all the time to watch dvds and my home movies but it kept freezing. i just use apples DVD player.

Since I am only a few feet away from my iMac I find it useless to use the remote and Front Row. I do use it when I have friends over, just so I can show off. I don't watch many DVD's but when I do I use my big screen TV not my 20inch iMac.