Sign in to follow this  
CCrunner54703

Should I get a Macbook?

I am begining to look for a new laptop for school. I will be doing basic wordprocessing and spreadsheets, as well as watch movies, listen to music, and some basic photo editing in Photoshop Elements. My question is if I should get a macbook now, or hold out until a new model is released I'm assuming after school starts. I am a little weary in puchasing a macbook because it is a first gen. product, and there are always kinks to work out in the first generation of anything. I also need the computer to work because I am going to Study abroad in Florence, Italy for the semester next spring. So here is the question...

Should I empty my bank account now and get a Macbook before I go to school, or should I hold out and wait until closer to leaving to Italy to hope for a more stable product.

it might be nice to have a stable product................

Isn't photoshop having problems?

it might be nice to have a stable product................

Isn't photoshop having problems?

Do you have a macbook? You must since you have all of these negative posts about them. What has happenned with yours? Most of the posts I see from people with new macbooks is that are very happy with them. I have a first gen macbook pro 15" and never had a problem with it. I use creative suite 2 extensivly and while it is a tad slow and I am definitly anticipating cs3 with native inel support it works fine overall. There can sometimes be a random crash of photoshop but not often and it's never been a big deal. That being said he isn't talking about photoshop. He is talking about photoshop elements which is an entirely different product. Everything he needs to do is low level consumer grade stuff and will not be a problem. Get the macbook.

wait til august, then get one(just in case there's a revision)

all the same, great laptop. well worth the money.

I would go into Apple's redfurbished section of their store, and get a nice Powerbook for the same amount of money. Like the 15 inch, 1.67 GHz G4 for $1,300 at <damn it Apple, I hate the "session timed out" thing, just get a normal website>!

Anyway, look through Apple's refurbished section, there is a lot of good stuff.

I would go into Apple's redfurbished section of their store, and get a nice Powerbook for the same amount of money. Like the 15 inch, 1.67 GHz G4 for $1,300 at <damn it Apple, I hate the "session timed out" thing, just get a normal website>!

Sometimes ebay has a good deal.

Sometimes ebay has a good deal.

I don't trust Ebay. I've been ripped off too many times on Ebay to spend more than $15 on anything

I agree about how eBay has too many people who just rip you off. I would look at Craigslist, I saw an almost-new really nice 15" Powerbook, with all of the features, tons of RAM, etc, for $1000 there a while ago. I wish I had $1000 to spend on the thing, but I don't.

There's actually some good deals on refurb MBP's that are nearly as cheap as the powerbooks.

Well, I still don't really want to deal with first gen Macbooks and Rosetta, which is really not great, from what I hear. If anything doesn't quite work (think Snapz Pro X, Uplink (a game), Warcraft 3 (it won't do anything right through Rosetta, I heard it won't even let you turn the graphics up) and all OS 9 apps without Sheepshaver,w hich is complicated), then I'm not sure what the real advantage is of getting a nice new computer. Other than good Universal apps... but how many of those are there that the average user uses and happens to need a faster computer for? There are the pro apps, but the average user doesn't need them or have them. Mostly there is new small freeware that is Universal, but most of that can be run on older computers, and there will be little benefit if it isn't Universal, and it won't work unmodified if it's 68k.

There is plenty of universal apps around, just about everything you'd need is aside from a few games and adobe and microsoft stuff. What do you need that isn't universal?

And who uses os9 apps anyway.

I'm lovin' my macbook. No question. That said, I'm not using it for games, so don't hold me to anything in that regard. That's what consoles are for, IMO.

yeah, the macbook's got some minor issues so far, but there's nothing that's worrying me that's not able to be fixed in a firmware upgrade. ie. the "moo"

I say if you're gonna hold out for a little while longer, it'll just be to wait and see if they perhaps release some faster processors for it. They recently offered configurations with more ram, but in my opinion, you're better off upgrading the hard drive and ram yourself. I'm no computer whiz, but I did mine, and it was hella easy.

I'd recommend holding off as long as you can - to make more money - and then buy the computer when you need to. Think of it this way; It's not going to get any more expensive. You can only benefit by waiting.

Oh, and remember that you'll need to buy a spreadsheet program; OS X doesn't come with one, other than a 30 day MS Office trial.

New twist...I looked into deals, and If I buy before Saturday I can get a free printer and free iPod nano after rebates for both of them. Should I get it before the printer deal ends on saturday, or wait until closer to school. I don't "need" either the printer or nano, but if they're free why not take it?

i'd wait until the core 2 models come out with Leopard, and if u want to get windows, i would wait until vista comes out because you're gonna pay another $300 on it.

if u need it now go and get one, they're really cool you won't regret it but if u want the latest stuff you're gonna have to wait a few months

My rule with new computers: buy one when you really need it, and no sooner - but no later. As someone above said: they're not going to get more expensive, so waiting never hurts in terms of what you'll get for your money. Waiting hurts when you need the computer NOW and don't get it because you're holding out for 'something better' - there's ALWAYS something better coming.

So evaluate your needs: if you can't stand your current computer, or if you don't have one, you need a new computer now. Waiting will simply deprive you of the fun you could be having with a system you clearly need. If your current computer is unreliable, dog-slow, or driving you nuts in any similar way, then you really need one now.

If it's just a case of wanting greener pastures, if your current machine actually does anything you need without real problems and you just want something new, bright and shiny, wait if you can stand it.

In my opinion, the main teething troubles with the new models are passing, and with each week you have less chance of a problem. I just got a week 23 MBP17 through my work and I've so far had no problems with it whatsoever, and I suspect the MBP problems are mostly solved. I don't know anyone with a MacBook, but most people on the forums seem happy with them.

Thanks for all the help. I am now a proud owner of my first mac. I went out Tuesday and got the Macbook, and the Printer, and a 30GB Ipod Video