Sign in to follow this  
kcrockett

Airport and iMac G4

I have a iMac G4 15 inch 800 MHZ 768 of ram it was the “late 2003” imac. I know that I can add a airport card (the original one) on this but I sear I have see people put the Airport Extreme card in. My question is can I do that. I want to make sure that I can before I go and buy one and then have it not be able to plug in.

Unfortunately not. The earliest model of iMac with an optional Airport Extreme Card was the 1Ghz, 17" Flat which was introduced in February 2003. The 800Mhz 15" was also introduced at the same time but with only an optional Airport 802.11b card. The first 15" iMac to be Airport Extreme expandable was the 800Mhz replacement in September 2003 with the 1Ghz USB2.0 model.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings (unless you do have a 1Ghz model after all of course since that was the "late 2003" model).

no its the 800 mhz model. My local mac reseller wants to sell me a used one for $178 which is crazy cause the extreme one (which allows Bluetooth) is $100 cheaper. Also ebay seems to be selling them for more than the extreme ones.

Unfortunately I am in the UK, so I can't check at work tomorrow because it will be no use to you. It's probably more expensive because Airport Extreme now ships as standard on all Macs with the exception of the Power Mac (+£69.99 BTO or £49.99 for the card) so they are hard to get hold of. The UK Apple Store no longer stock 802.11b Airport cards.