Sign in to follow this  
herm9529

iDVD Image

Since my PowerBook G4 doesn't have a dvd burner can I take the file that iDVD makes when saving to an image and burn them with a Window computer? If so, what kind of software would I need or can I just copy and paste onto a DVD? Thanks.

i cant remember what the output of iDVD is whether its a .dmg or .iso.

You would be able to transfer to windows and burn a .iso (there are plenty open source burning apps) i arent so sure about a .dmg

jack

You can use Disk Utility to burn it to a DVD on another Mac.

I have done this -- the .img that iDVD creates is NOT a standard ISO file. However if you mount that .img file in Disk Utility (drag it from Finder into the left pane of Disk Utility), then click once on it and go to the (I believe) Utilities menu and then to Convert. Select the CD/DVD Master option and give the file an extension of .cdr (this will actually be automatically done in the conversion, I believe).

Now the .cdr IS a standard ISO file but most Windows programs probably won't recognize that right away. You'll need to change that filename extension from .cdr to .iso and then you can use something like Roxio's Disc Copier in Windows to either burn it to a DVD or to a DVD Folder on your hard drive.

Just to give you an update. Thanks doneitner for the advice. It worked. I used disk utility to convert the file and changed the extension to .iso and then used a Windows program to burn it to a DVD. Thanks again.