Sign in to follow this  
mooner25

Mac Virgin

Dear All

Bored with working with windows based PC's since the 80's and using windows at home I took myself off to the Apple Store last week. There i touched a Mac for the very first time and after some great help from the guys in the store I ordered a MacBook which i eagerly await delivery of. My hope is that the MacBook will be something that is fun and helps me do the things I want to do. If it is as intuitive as my IPod and Itunes then I will be very happy.

Whilst I know it will take me some time to get the hang of the OS and the Mac "way" from what I have seen it should not be long before I am flying.

I know that if I was waiting for the Dell laptop (that was my alternative) my heart would sink as soon as I heard the windows start up tune. This would be akin to buying a new peice of office furniture.

My great thanks to MacCast podcast guys and sites like this for all the great info and help on offer.

A very excited Mac Virgin

welcome to the forums,

you will not regret your purchase, i have enjoyed ever minute since i got my mac and would never willingly go back to windows

jack

You won't regret it; at least, not if my story so far is any indication of how new mac users get along.

If I can offer one piece of advice: Never forget that there is only ONE menu bar - at the top of the screen - and it changes with every program you're using.

haha. I knew this, and yet the first couple of days I couldn't understand why I couldn't find my itunes options...lol.

It's easy to forget at first, but overall, it's just an awesome way to use a computer. Welcome.

There is one thing that he will regret... that the purchase was not made much earlier in life. :mrgreen:

Congrats on the new Mac. Like you, I was a Windows user (still am for work), but I got my first Mac last 14 months ago and I am loving it to this day.

Cheers for the responses and advice.

I'm sure i will bore my colleagues at work when i say my mac does it better than windows. Although i cannot see our IT guys switching form Windows. They struggle enough as it is with one OS let alone learning another... lol.

Thanks

Hi...I switched last year to a used iBook and then 2 months ago to the MacBook. You won't regret it...especially since you can run XP with OSX via Parallels when you really need to. As noted earlier in the thread....be aware of the single menu bar at the top (can drive you crazy at first) also, you will constantly be surprised at the things you can perform so readily. I love the photo slide show builds to e-mail. My family was very impressed with that. You'll miss the numerous short cut keys but if you read the forums you find the unpublished ones. To really pick up hints and tricks listen to the Podcasts TheMacCast, Surbits MacReviewCast, MacTips etc. I guarantee you that you will run across at least one really great "Oh my GOD that is cool" feature every week for the first few months. Good Luck VG

I guarantee you that you will run across at least one really great "Oh my GOD that is cool" feature every week for the first few months. Good Luck VG

A cool feature a week for the first 3 months?

I have been useing a Mac for years and I still find "OH MY GOD" features almost everyweek.

Thats whats great about a Mac.

"Welcome to the Mac"

i hopped on the mac boat a bit late too -- but i've been pretty happy ever since. i get kind of frustrated with how mac does things sometimes, not that it's wrong -- just different.

but quarks aside, the mac platform is smooth, there are a lot of 'why doesn't windows do this' moments.

-danN

I was died in the wool PC going back to a pair of IBM PCjrs and DOS. I enjoyed using computers and even troubleshooting them, but having to constantly fight Windows and reinstall just to keep running was seriously getting old. After getting a PowerBook for school, I was reluctant for a time, but gradually became a raving Mac bigot :P

My first comment to people's PC problems is now "should've gotten a Mac."

My first comment to people's PC problems is now "should've gotten a Mac."

I'm completely over being expected to give free technical support to everyone I know. I now have a response much like yours that *every* PC owner gets, "The best advice I can give you is to buy a Mac." Repeat once for each question. Eventually they catch on that they need to go spend their money instead of having me clean up their garbage for free.

I was a Mac virgin until May of last year. And I've worked full time in the computer industry since 1978. So I've got an awfully bad attitude toward MS operating systems, having been forced to use them since the days of MS-DOS.

By comparison I find OS X to be much less user hostile, quite obviously carefully designed, and usually sensible. There are a few things that do annoy me though, like multiple cryptic names and nonsensical icons on keyboards. For example, there seems to be about 5 different names and/or icons for the two identical keys to the left and right of the spacebar on an Apple keyboard. That really, really, really annoys me. A lot.

I would prefer to have one name per key. When do I press the Apple key instead of the Command key, for example? And when is the Option key an Alt key instead of an Option key? And how am I expected to know which key it is at any given moment if it is so often both or just one at a time?

Granted having a 149 year old brain does make it harder for me to learn new tricks, but still, one name per keyboard key would be an improvement.

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. I am very happy with my MacBook and everything about the OSX. I have yet to find anything irritating and thouroughly enjoy using it everyday. Intergration, software, appearance, user freindly, fun and it does work nicely. For example I like the way when you incorrectly log in with the wrong password the dialogue just shakes instead of telling you off for being a numbnut!

Thanks for the warning about the pull down menu at the top that changes, I have adapted very well. I actually like it alot becasue I immediately know which window or app is active. Genius.

The only downside is becasue it is seemless and does things very well I am worried it is smarter than me and will take over. I suppose that would be ok if it pays my mortgage!!

Happy Maccing.