Sign in to follow this  
joshr

Airport Express Problems

I just hooked up an airport express and I can't seem to connect to the thing. I have a netgear router and I am trying to connect the airport express to that network then connect a printer and a stereo to the airport express. I was able to plug a network cable into the AE and my computer and set it up that way but as soon as I unplugged the cable I couldn't see it anymore. It is blinking orange.

I would appreciate a step by step because the manual just says open up the utility and follow the directions but I can't find the unit using the utility. Thanks.

I am currently running no security on my network and the IP address is dynamic.

i don't think an AP express can extend a network unless it is connected to an AP base station. try to set it up as an independant network to use as a print server.

i don't think an AP express can extend a network unless it is connected to an AP base station.  try to set it up as an independant network to use as a print server.

Actually that is in fact one of it's main functions. http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ bottom of the page where it says "Extend Your Network"

The outcome of this was I took it into the apple store and they looked at it and after a couple of hard restarts it worked but then didn't. Since it seemed flaky they replaced my 2 month old demo model with a brand new unit and gave me 80 cents back because I was in a different county and now the tax was less. I love Apple service.

I took the unit home and switched on WAP security on my network changed the router name [it's finally not netgear :)]. Plugged in the stereo and the printer and got everything working. Great I thought my internet was working, secured, and I could stream music and print wirelessly. Tested everything on the PC also and the only thing I need help with there is how do I get the PC to be able to print? On the mac it's just listed as a bonjour printer in the print dialog. How do i add it on the PC?

After this I tried to use the internet again and although my in-home wireless network seems to be working perfectly I can't get out on the internet. I was able to 5 minutes before and nothing changed. I have an IP address on the router and a release/renew fixed nothing. I didn't have a chance to work on it much since it was 1a.m. but I am going to try plugging in with an ethernet cable to the router and see if that works then plugging the modem directly into the computer. Next I will restart the router and see if that fixes anything. Anyone else got any ideas?

I took the unit home and switched on WAP security on my network changed the router name [it's finally not netgear :)].  Plugged in the stereo and the printer and got everything working.  Great I thought my internet was working, secured, and I could stream music and print wirelessly.  Tested everything on the PC also and the only thing I need help with there is how do I get the PC to be able to print?  On the mac it's just listed as a bonjour printer in the print dialog.  How do i add it on the PC?  

After this I tried to use the internet again and although my in-home wireless network seems to be working perfectly I can't get out on the internet.  I was able to 5 minutes before and nothing changed.  I have an IP address on the router and a release/renew fixed nothing.  I didn't have a chance to work on it much since it was 1a.m. but I am going to try plugging in with an ethernet cable to the router and see if that works then plugging the modem directly into the computer.  Next I will restart the router and see if that fixes anything.  Anyone else got any ideas?

I called adelphia and they reset the modem. All is well. So I have a brand new airport express, a renamed router, and a WPA secured wireless network. I am stoked. The only thing I still have to figure out is how to get the PC printing to the airport express.

EDIT: You just have to download and install Bonjour for printers. Super easy.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bon...windows103.html

here is the footnote attached to the page you used for your rebuttal.

5. AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network.

5. AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network.

the airport express can extend the range of any WDS compatible router not Apples hardware.

jack

Believe what you want but I now have it working. In my case I don't really need it to extend my wireless, although in theory it is, as it is about 15 feet from the base router. However I have a netgear router and my airport express is logged on to that network extending the range in theory but more importantly allowing wireless printing and music streaming. The genius that I talked to walked me through how it would work.