Sign in to follow this  
mooner25

MacBook to TV connection

I have a CRT TV which i would like to occasionally use as my MacBook monitor. Although I have checked around online I am unable to find a cable which will allow me to do this.

I would appreciate direction on this one.

Cheers

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...rnMore=M9319G/A

thats what you need has a standard composite out for tv.

jack

Yeah that would be great if 1. It actually WORKED with the MacBook Pro 2. It wasn't Mini-DVI. I bought the same adaptor except it wasn't Mini DVI but it only worked on my Mini and not my PowerBook. I would recommend going the S-Video route because the quality you get using the yellow cable sucks. Also if you are using the TV to view small text, don't you will hardly even see it.

With regard to Composite vs S-Video. I think they are both bad, but S-Video has significantly less "dot crawl" Which is basically what looks like wavy pixles running along straight edges in the images, like fonts.

I bought that exact connector when I bought my macbook. It works flawlessly. On one end, obviously, the mini DVI connector. On the other end you can choose between a video RCA connection or the S-Video connection. Yes, the S-video is already there.

I love using the TV as a second monitor. Talk about a cheap way to get more real estate. It also works well for watching movies on the tv without burning them to a dvd first...

edit: Ok, flawlessly may not be quite right. After disconnecting the tv from the macbook, my stickies are sometimes in slightly different places; when using the tv in my bedroom as a main monitor, the computer automatically switches to 4:3 format. The switch back to widescreen isn't perfect, but at least everything's still there. I haven't tried it on our HDTV's yet, but I'm thinking this probably won't be a problem with them...

I use that connector daily. It was a necessary purchase, since I used my TiBook in the same way to watch downloaded video on the TV. In fact, what necessitated the upgrade was the TiBook's G4 being unable to deal with modern high quality video formats outside of Quicktime.

I haven't ever used the TV as a secondary monitor for working with since it's just too fuzzy, but it works great for videos, iTunes visualizations, etc. Front Row and the Apple remote really shine here in cases where I'm actually playing something Quicktime can deal with. Most of the time for what I've downloaded I use VLC playing back fullscreen on the TV while leaving the MacBook's main monitor free for other computing tasks. You can do this by going to Video->Video Device in VLC and selecting the TV, then fullscreening the movie. I wish Quicktime Player and Front Row had this capability. Despite fire and brimstone complaints about the MacBook's video, I've played 720p videos this way and not even noticed a performance difference while working on the main screen. I do have 2gb of RAM in mine though, so milage may vary.