Sign in to follow this  
CCrunner54703

Is .mac worth it?

I have been toying around with the idea of getting a .mac account to host photos when I study in Italy next spring. My question is...is a .mac account really worth the money. I am EXTREMELY cheap, and chringe when I spend more than $20. Is it worth the $66ish a year that my student discount gets me for the services it provides?

If you break it down to its parts, then I would say it's not worth it. But as a whole, it adds a convenience that makes it worth it for me. Of course there are several free web services that provide equivalent features, but I've grown to like .Mac integration into many apps. So to be fair, .Mac is more a luxury than a necessity, but as a luxury it is not very wasteful. I feel a Mac without .Mac is just 95% of the Mac experience.

i cant live without mine, it maybe expensive but it is worth it.

jack

Let's see:

.Mac $99 a year

1. idisk/hosting (iGB storage/10GB transfers per month/Speed - Not great)

2. .mac Groups

3. Addressbook/Bookmark syncing

4. Backup.app (I like it)

5. Site templates (which I actually really like despite there utter simplicity. They tie into ilife well.)

6. IMAP email account with aliases.

7. (other notables - ilife integration, garage band loops, 3rd party .app integration, cute e-cards, .mac learning center)

$99 / 7 = $14.14 per feature per year. Yet the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Yes... I know that wasn't a very accurate evaluation. I'm trying...

Now-

GoDaddy Economy Plan: ~$45

Hosting/Storage (5GB space 250GB transfers, free .info domain. Wicked Fast.) 500 email accounts. You can get good/free backup + ftp .apps. I never used .mac groups. You can't put a price tag on ilife integration, AddBook/Bookmark syncing/& 3rd party .app integration. You can't put a price tag on ease of use. I'm gona dump .mac just because I can't pay the bills. If I had some more loot, I'd certainly keep it. That's my piece. :D

It depends upon how computer literate you are. Dot Mac is good for those who don't want to fuss with building their own sites and just want things to work properly.

I dropped my .Mac account because the FTP transfer was wonky and extremely slow. That was six months ago -- it may have improved since that time.

I dropped my .Mac account because the FTP transfer was wonky and extremely slow. That was six months ago -- it may have improved since that time.

nope... still wonky and extremely slow. Still like it for convenience sake, but as I said, I won't be renewing my account. It was good a first, but now I am to geeky to be using it.

nope... still wonky and extremely slow.

Do you have trouble getting a reliable connection? I always had problems with it hanging indefinitely after uploading / downloading files.

Do you have trouble getting a reliable connection? I always had problems with it hanging indefinitely after uploading / downloading files.

Yep... I've had many issues with idisk connections. In fact, the only times I've ever got funky pop-up errors on my Mac that were almost Windowsish were from idisk syncing errors. It's gotten much better, but I'm ditching it anyway. The only time it would hang indefinitely was when I had idisk auto syncing turned on, but I turned it off as I did not need a hard copy off my idisks contents on my machine. Hey man, 2 more posts and your at "Super Mac Geek." Sounds like a good time to head to the off-topic section and spit out some random macolicious gibberish! :lol:

I'm a geek and have my own hosting account, but I still renewed my .Mac account recently. To me it's part of the overall Macintosh, iPod, iLife, .Mac experience. I really like using the group feature to share my iCal with my Wife who is still on Windows XP. I've also been using the IMAP mail account more recently. I have my Treo 650 setup to sync with my .Mac mail, which is nice when I'm mobile.

If you decide to purchase or renew, save $20 and get it from Amazon.com for $79.

The advantage of .mac really isn't the services. It's how the services integrate into Mac OS X. How important that integration becomes is completely subjective, but for simple things I like having it around. I like knowing that my Calendar/Contact/etc data will sync between machines and be safely backed up online. I like having the iDisk just to stick files I will need to retrieve later, and I like the web hosting for simple applications like hosting my sig images or my vacation photos site which was a snap in iWeb. For a more advanced site that required anything beyond static HTML or expected a lot of traffic, I would certainly need another solution. However, for simplicity you can't beat how .Mac integrates into OS X and the iLife suite. And it's only $6.67/month if you get the retail box for $80 from Amazon.

I have been using .mac services for almost 2 years now, and I have to say that it is worth it. The big feature I use it for now is my backup. I chose the 4GB option. (which I know is pricey). But what it gives me is a reliable off-site backup that would really save my butt if my system went down. That alone is worth the money. I do use iWeb a bit, keychain syncing and other features, but backup is the one I use the most.