houltmac

MacBook Glossy Screen

I was initially skeptical of the glossy screen found on the new MacBooks and optional on the MacBook Pros. That said, I had been using them for years on Windows based notebooks without issue. I couldn't say with any honesty that I noticed the difference between the PowerBook matte display and the Windows notebook glossy display barring the crisper appearance of the Mac.

Now I have used the MacBook a little more I have began to understand the fundamentals of the screen differences a little better. The glossy screen makes a difference, without a doubt. You can see clearly how much deeper and richer color is on screen with the MacBook display as opposed to any other display I have ever seen. Obviously this isn't ideal for print, but it certainly works well for the user who wants to view what's on their monitor in the best possible circumstances.

Later I started looking into this whole reflection thing. I have drawn the conclusion that it's all a load of baloney. I am writing this in the office, at my desk and I can see my reflection, or the refraction of the ceiling lights only when I look for them. Seeing as no one on the Windows notebook cares, cries or blogs about such issues didn't mean they weren't there, just that I didn't look for them. Now I am conscious of them I see them when I think about it, otherwise I adjust my eyes to see what I want to see; as I always have. I draw parallels to this through the car windshield issue. When it rains you can see through the rain if you want to. It's the same thing.

Outside I would be more skeptical, but I haven't tried it. That said it was certainly the case that on the PowerBook.... well outside just didn't happen; at all. The screens backlight simply isn't powerful enough to counteract the universal light source that is our sun.

Overall I would have this MacBooks display over my PowerBooks display any day, and more over, I would have the MacBook over the PowerBook in a flash.

Thanks for that Matt. I get the feeling that the reflections are something that you can just 'block out', but if you look for them then they are worse.

The other thing that is annoying is the that people complain "It is awful to use outside!".

I have never used my laptop outside!

The other thing that is annoying is the that people complain "It is awful to use outside!".

I have never used my laptop outside!

Sadly I have. My advice: don't. Displays aren't designed to be used in heavy lighting conditions (that's why news readers have struggled in the past and have paper behind their laptops if they are supposed to be reading from there). They are however designed for average office lighting conditions and below, so outside of that range with any display is anybodies guess.

My vote is for the glossy screen on the Macbook. I usually use it in low lighting conditions and not under bright fluorescent lights or near windows. That seems to help.

I am getting a MacBookPro soon and it will not have a glossy screen. Too much glare...

This glossy screen reflection thing is a load of rubbish. You often have to physically move the screen to atually be able to see the reflections. The black and white levels a simply amazing. I was even out in the midday sun earlier. The sun was no match for the MacBook backlight.

This glossy screen reflection thing is a load of rubbish. You often have to physically move the screen to atually be able to see the reflections. The black and white levels a simply amazing. I was even out in the midday sun earlier. The sun was no match for the MacBook backlight.

You got a MacBook?

I have a Macbook and the glossy screen has never caused me any issues. That said I've never used it outside yet but I don't forsee any problems.

Exactly. I love the glossyness. Who uses it outside anyway? I guess you could though. The glossy layer makes the colors so much better. I was skeptical at first, but I'm so glad I got a glossy-screened notebook.

I use my PowerBook outside.

Do they have glossy screened MacBooks and MacBook Pros at any Apple retail stores?

All MacBooks have glossy screens, so those will be at any Apple Store. MacBook Pros however can have either. The glossy screen in this case is a BTO option on the online store, so I would imagine you will mostly find matte displays on MBPs in Apple Stores. It will be easy enough to tell however when you compare it to the MacBooks.

The biggest issue I have with the MacBook's screen is that its viewing angles aren't as good vertically and there seems to be a lot of shift in the color if you're not looking at it dead on. Any graphic artist knows you can't trust colors on the screen anyway, and it's always just an approximation until you print it out and look. Overall though, everything is much brighter and richer than my PowerBook ever was, and the PB looks downright dim and desaturated to me now. The MacBook's screen even trumps the CRTs I have at work and home (though granted my employer is cheap and so is the monitor).

I'd agree with Trium, but remember that there is a reason Pro machine still have a matte option ;)

I'd agree with Trium, but remember that there is a reason Pro machine still have a matte option ;)

very good point! :lol:

Well, I use my laptop in high, uneven light, and I tend to be more distracted by things other people really would have to look for. I would always get matte, but whatever. No problem if both are still offered.

My vote is for the glossy screen on the Macbook. I usually use it in low lighting conditions and not under bright fluorescent lights or near windows. That seems to help.

Yes, one should always keep bootcamp away from a Macbook, Windows really make your computer hard to use.

True, and if I was receiving the machine from my employer (not paying for it) or buying it to start freelancing (writing it off my taxes) I'd gladly use that as an excuse to buy a Pro. :lol: