Sign in to follow this  
wiskid550

Reasons Macs are better than Windows

it all depends who you talk to and what your backgorund is, for me it is just that it works, works and works some more. Something i never had with windows, i have yet to have a crash major fault or have to clean for viruses and spyware each week.

It just isnt as stressful as a windows machine.

jack

no spyware woho. i do miss my games doh o well xbox will have to do lol.

More intuitive. When I meet someone who recently switched I tell them, "When you aren't sure what to do, do what YOU think should be done, not what Bill Gates thinks should be done. It will probably work." That is true almost all the time.

More crash resistant. My in-laws bought a Mac after I told my mother in law to try my Mac. She was afraid she'd break something. I told her she couldn't do it and she should relax and enjoy using a computer. When it was time for a new computer she had some inheritance money and told her husband, "I'll pay for a new computer, but only if its a Mac." He hated the idea that Thanksgiving weekend, but two weeks later was telling everyone that it was the best Christmas present he'd ever received. Ever. 8)

It just works. I finally updated the software on my mini at work. The uptime on that computer was 121 days. That's 4 months without a restart or shut down. Even my iBook will often go 15 days without a restart or shut down, and even then it's often because I unplug it before I put the battery in. :roll: Not bad for a laptop.

1] It just works

2] It just works the way you'd expect it to

3] It is not necessary to hobble the system with bloated self-defense software from companies like Norton or Symantec

4] New software can be installed without needing to reboot

5] Running programs can not easily escalate their own privileges

6] Malware is not automatically executed

7] It's a beauty to behold

8] There is no central registry which can take down the entire system if it becomes corrupted

9] It does not constantly produce unnecessary and extremely annoying modal dialog boxes which must be dismissed before the system can continue to be used

10] It does not use the world's least secure web browser by default

Windows is fatally flawed because it was never meant to be an operating system. It is a graphical shell overlayed on DOS. In order to maintain backward compatibility they have to keep the flawed structure of previous versions.

For example, if you want to reset the administrator password on a domain, all you have to do is login to a domain controller. If you don't have a login, then reboot in DS recovery mode and reset the local admin password. Now login locally, not the domain. Now edit the registry to set CMD.EXE as the screensaver and set the timeout to 1 min. Now reboot and wait for the screensaver to launch. You will have a command prompt with Enterprise Admin rights. Launch MMC, and then plugin ADUC and voila, you can do whatever you want to all accounts on the network. This is all accomplished without any 3rd party tools whatsoever. All it requires is physical access to a domain controller, or an IP enabled KVM switch.

The advantages of Mac usage are hard to explain without coming off sounding arrogant. This is clear when you watch the "Get a Mac" ad named Better. Even Apple it seems is at a loss to explain it eloquently. It's something that you can't get a real sense of until you use a Mac for a while then go back. Suddenly the inadequacies of Windows interface become painfully apparent, as does its mockery of the term Plug & Play. You suddenly realize how little maintenance your Mac needs, and how little software is required to keep it in good order. Factory installs of OS X are mostly clean of junk software. Trials of iWork and Office are nowhere on the magnitude of junk that comes on a typical Windows box. And if you don't want them, a quick drag to the Trash takes care of it.

Under the elegant Mac exterior is all that command line crunching power that Unix/Linux fans rave about. GUI not sufficient for your power user needs? Drop into the Terminal and compile Unix software from source, ssh to your web server, and manually ftp it up there (if you're into that sort of thing...). Truly the king of desktop OS's. If only we could get more developers onboard, as Windows' only advantage is the multitude of software it's built up simply for being the default OS.

The advantages of Mac usage are hard to explain without coming off sounding arrogant. This is clear when you watch the "Get a Mac" ad named Better. Even Apple it seems is at a loss to explain it eloquently. It's something that you can't get a real sense of until you use a Mac for a while then go back. Suddenly the inadequacies of Windows interface become painfully apparent, as does its mockery of the term Plug & Play. You suddenly realize how little maintenance your Mac needs, and how little software is required to keep it in good order. Factory installs of OS X are mostly clean of junk software. Trials of iWork and Office are nowhere on the magnitude of junk that comes on a typical Windows box. And if you don't want them, a quick drag to the Trash takes care of it.

Under the elegant Mac exterior is all that command line crunching power that Unix/Linux fans rave about. GUI not sufficient for your power user needs? Drop into the Terminal and compile Unix software from source, ssh to your web server, and manually ftp it up there (if you're into that sort of thing...). Truly the king of desktop OS's. If only we could get more developers onboard, as Windows' only advantage is the multitude of software it's built up simply for being the default OS.

i always go for the mighty mouses side buttons (i have them set for expose) on windows boxes and nothing happens. I now find that i do nothing serious with windows machines other than laugh.

jack

out of the box it's more than a computer, it has software loaded so you won't have to run to download.com the second you boot it up for the first time.

no more weekly spyware scans.

no more 'update tuesdays'

no more '3 finger salutes'

you get the idea..

-danN

out of the box it's more than a computer, it has software loaded so you won't have to run to download.com the second you boot it up for the first time.

no more weekly spyware scans.

no more 'update tuesdays'

no more '3 finger salutes'

you get the idea..

-danN

But it has no crapware. (anything by AOL)

-It's OS is incredible. Once you "get it", you really do "get it".

-It is suitable for beginners and experienced users alike. If you want to extend yourself and become a "geek" it is just like switching. Once you have become a true Mac user you learn the steps needed to become more and more "geeky". This really helps when you explore the more complex side of OS X

-Although issues are less common on a Mac (hardware or software), the technical support supersedes any other support I have dealt with

Windows is fatally flawed because it was never meant to be an operating system.

This is exactly true.

Windows was also never designed with the concepts of security or networking in mind. The original design had absolutely no support for networking protocols, and any user could (and still can) quite easily trash the entire system, accidentally or on purpose.

Of course they have retrofit networking (very ineptly) and they've made lame attempts to secure Windows, but the flaws in the original design haunt them to this day. Windows will always have serious security problems as long as it can still run the huge existing base of Windows programs. The one and only way that Microsoft would ever be able to create a secure operating system would be buy throwing all of their existing source code in a dumpster and starting over. This would break all existing Windows programs, leaving Microsoft in the same boat as Linus Torvalds.

This is why the US Department of Homeland Security, through it's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) has advised home computer users not to use Microsoft web browsers. reference

Back in the early 1990s when Microsoft was illegally using their monopoly position to destroy Netscape, they made the STUPIDEST DECISION IN THE HISTORY OF THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY. This was when they decided to give web developers direct access to the Windows shell through the use of extremely insecure Active X extensions to the world's least secure web browser. This idiotic move on their part gave rise to an entire industry of malware authors. Everyone that uses a computer is still paying for this mistake, as much of the malware, virus and spam Internet traffic is based on malware that has been auto-installed using the literally hundreds of security holes in Internet Exploder.

By comparison, the BSD operating system on which NeXT and OS X are based has a superb security model and support for TCP/IP right in the kernel.

In addition, the design philosophy at Apple is superior. Apple is to Microsoft as Toyota is to Chevrolet.

Toyota tries to build the best cars they can, while Chevrolet seeks to create a product that can legally be described as a car.

Apple tries to create the best operating system they can, while Microsoft does not seem to know what they want to do, except make it harder for their enemies (developers at third party companies).

By now you may have realized that I'm not very much impressed with Microsoft, and I like OS X much better. For good technical reasons as well as personal taste.

Basicly it bleeds down to this.

No regestry and no IE.

The registry is just a "simple database" of INI files that existed prior to Windows 95. INI files are not too different from Plist (Prefs) files in OSX. The fact that they put all their eggs in one basket increases the risk of corruption and increae the complexity of troubleshooting. What OSX got right is the GUI. It is the only Unix derviative that has got it right. A great gui makes all the difference in the world to the end user.

OS X runs the way we think.

If you think it out, that's how you would do it in OS X. Sometimes its too simple. One of the classic questions I get from users new to OS X, how do you get something out of the dock you don't want there anymore. Most people do the whole "what thats it". (drag the icon out of the dock)

Windows has the mentality to make things over complicated just to have more substance. The more buttons the better. The more menus the better. If you want to change something you have to go diving down thru menus and dialogs. I have heard lots of people who use XP say "wow iphoto looks so bland, where are all the buttons, all the settings". Same with Safari. More is never better.

There is no reason not to buy a Mac. None at all.

my .02 cents

real

If you watched the WWDC 2006 keynote Bertrand Serlet said these things about Vista

"It still has the registry, DLL hell, and this well-loved feature called Activation."

roflol, that was the funniest part of the keynote in my opinion =]