rschumaker

Macbook Service is an Embarrassment

We bought a new Macbook that was almost totally built out (>$2,000). Less than a month later, it stopped booting and it was later determined to be a bad logic board.

I took it to our local Apple authorized service provider on July 3 and it was sent to Houston for repair. It has been sitting on a bench since July 6 waiting for the logic board. They have sent out a special request through the system for the logic board on July 13 and have extended the arrival at least 2 times. They are now saying it should arrive July 21. I think it is an embarrassment that it would take that long to get a logic board to the repair shop. I bet if they didn't already have my money, it wouldn't take that long but no one seems to care.

My advice to everyone now is don't even think about buying a Macbook until Apple gets there mess together. Where is the customer service that Apple is supposed to have? I am disgusted!!

We bought a new Macbook that was almost totally built out (>$2,000).  Less than a month later, it stopped booting and it was later determined to be a bad logic board.  

I took it to our local Apple authorized service provider on July 3 and it was sent to Houston for repair.  It has been sitting on a bench since July 6 waiting for the logic board.  They have sent out a special request through the system for the logic board on July 13 and have extended the arrival at least 2 times.  They are now saying it should arrive July 21.  I think it is an embarrassment that it would take that long to get a logic board to the repair shop.  I bet if they didn't already have my money, it wouldn't take that long but no one seems to care.

My advice to everyone now is don't even think about buying a Macbook until Apple gets there mess together.  Where is the customer service that Apple is supposed to have?  I am disgusted!!

I know the feeling. In fact, I've been there a few times. That said, I still believe Apple's service is above average. Ever try Sears? Best Buy? Talk about BAD customer experience...

Yeah, Apple has some issues but at least they're updating you. I hope they make it right.

That's awful but remember; there are good and bad AASPs. At work (no use since we are in the UK but it illustrates the point) it would almost certainly have been turned around in 24-48 hours. Apple are generally really good at getting parts out for 8 AM next day delivery; so there really is no excuse.

Best of luck in the future and I hope you find a decent AASP in the future.

I think that is what's so frustrating. I have always had good experiences with Apple - although I have never had a major repair issue. Even my (hold your nose) PC repairs have never taken this long. I am trying to find some other e-mail address or telephone number to let Apple know. They definitely have a problem.

Agreed about good and bad AASPs... my local AASP in a town of around 30,000 had a new logic board for my iBook G4 within a day when it needed replacing. I was impressed that Apple was that quick getting parts out to a small dealer.

The problem here is not with the local AASP in Roanoke. They sent it to Apple right away. It has been in the Apple repair facility since July 6. Our Roanoke, VA AASP has done all they can. Apparently Apple can't or won't provide the parts to their own folks.

Call and politely complain... tell them you need it for work and if they could either replace it outright or provide compensation for a rental. Sorry you have to do the legwork, but it might prove fruitful.

It is not apple's fault the aasp took so long. You are comparing aasp service to apple's service. If you would have shipped it to apple, you would get better service. You are expecting too much from an aasp. Do not compare an aasp to apple. If you would have shipped it to apple amnd got bad service, it would be different.

Sounds like there is a back order on the Logic board or something. If this is the case (Since Apple is holding it up longer and longer) Apple should just send him a new unit... I hate how Apple is so Anti-Replacing broken stuff. My g/f's HP had a problem with USB, HP Cross shipped a replacement, she had a new machine in her hands in 3 days from calling the Tech Support.

If it's under 30 days, and logic board problems, I would have just returned it and asked for a new boxed one.

Is it not understandable that Apple don't want to take back machines? I mean, a second hand machine is exempt from tax in the UK and prices are then expected to drop ridiculously low; Apple would loose a fortune.

Just to clarify; the "AASP" are supposed to be fixing it in house right? They aren't just a dealer.

Is it not understandable that Apple don't want to take back machines? I mean, a second hand machine is exempt from tax in the UK and prices are then expected to drop ridiculously low; Apple would loose a fortune.

This must be handled at the retailer level, not Apple unless Apple was the original retailer, of course. When the logic board failed in my 2 week old iBook G4, the chain store I bought it from was happy to allow me to exchange for a new one. Small dealers can't do this since they don't have pull with their distributors. I'm all for supporting the small dealers, but I'm also all for keeping myself content as a consumer.

Just to clarify; the "AASP" are supposed to be fixing it in house right? They aren't just a dealer.

That's the intention. The AASP shouldn't be sending anything to Apple for repair.

That's the intention. The AASP shouldn't be sending anything to Apple for repair.

I know about AASPs; I work for one. I was enquiring about the particular place in question. Is it a true AASP or simply an authorised reseller?

Some AASP's (and apple Stores) do send in a computer for logic board repairs, while others will perform the service onsite. My local aasp will do minor repairs but will ship off anything else.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have only had one experience with my AASP and it was positive (besides the fact that I am an hour away).

Who cares about taxes and what not, Apple shipped a faulty product, and can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time. They should just send him a new one.

If it's still in his local shop, they should give him a new one and sell his as a used machine at a slightly reduced rate.[/code]

My Apple service experience was very good. Shipping box arrived on Tue. Packed the macbook, DHL picked it up the Tue afternoon and the driver told me to make sure someone would be home on Thursday to sign for it. (I said to myself, there is no way it will be back that soon) As soon as it was delivered to apple, apple send me an email to acknowledge the delivery. About an 1hr later, Apple updated the status on their page to being repaired and a few hrs later it was updated to pending dilivery on 7/20. Needless to say, the macbook arrived Thurs, 7/20 before 10am.

Impressive.

PS: My macbook was shipped to the Memphis repair center.

My Apple service experience was very good. Shipping box arrived on Tue. Packed the macbook, DHL picked it up the Tue afternoon and the driver told me to make sure someone would be home on Thursday to sign for it. (I said to myself, there is no way it will be back that soon) As soon as it was delivered to apple, apple send me an email to acknowledge the delivery. About an 1hr later, Apple updated the status on their page to being repaired and a few hrs later it was updated to pending dilivery on 7/20. Needless to say, the macbook arrived  Thurs, 7/20 before 10am.

Impressive.

PS: My macbook was shipped to the Memphis repair center.

I did the same. but this guy is talking about a repair center that works for apple. Apple pays them to do repairs. Your experience is different. Im telling this guy that if he would have packed his in a box and shipped it to apple directly, there would not be such a problem.

Who cares about taxes and what not, Apple shipped a faulty product, and can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time. They should just send him a new one.  

If it's still in his local shop, they should give him a new one and sell his as a used machine at a slightly reduced rate.[/code]

I know i am chipping in late, but apple do ship new ipods out and dont give you a repaired ipod back it has happened to me with 5 different ipod minis.

jack

wow thats bad on apples part. but my macbook had a bad logic board also and they called me the day after i brought it in and told me i could pick it up and it has been perfect since

I had my 18 month old Powerbook G4 in for service because the bottom RAM slot had died... the logic board got severly delayed.. I called, and politely complained...

They sent me a brand new 15" MacBook Pro to get me back on my feet.

i suggest giving them a call.

I had my 18 month old Powerbook G4 in for service because the bottom RAM slot had died... the logic board got severly delayed.. I called, and politely complained...

They sent me a brand new 15" MacBook Pro to get me back on my feet.

i suggest giving them a call.

that a lesson in calling anything support, dont loose it and be nice and you can get just about anything the person on the other end of the phone has the power to give you (i havent yet managed a ipod for powermac swap but theres hope yet :P ). Arguing gets you no where, as much as you would like it to.

jack

Sorry bud, but there is NO WAY that I am not going to buy a macbook because some shop had trouble with one macbook. Even if this was a widespread problem, I am IN LOVE with the macbook. Just my $0.02

Sounds like there is a back order on the Logic board or something.

From the reports I have been getting this is EXACTLY the issue. Apple has a shortage of logic boards. With a brand new design they have a few batches that were bad. Couple that with the success of the new line and you end up with a shortage.

I agree with the others, call Apple directly. Be polite but firm and tell them you need your system now. I would ask to be escalated to a manager if you don't get what you want, but remember they key is to be polite. If you lose it on the call you won't get anywhere.