Sign in to follow this  
The Professor

Frequent Kernel Panics on MacBook, Especially on Wake

My otherwise perfectly lovely MacBook has a tendency to kernel panic, especially when I wake it from sleep. I know people are often grouchy when they first wake up, but I refuse to accept this behavior from a computer.

If I put the MacBook to sleep (by closing the lid), then connect the power supply, and remove the power supply just a second or two before opening the lid, it will kernel panic at least 50% of the time.

During my recent vacation it prolly kernel paniced 8 times. I hate when that happens.

I wonder if any other MacBook owners are seeing this problem?

I intend to talk to Apple about this, but want to know if other folks have trouble if they disconnect the power supply from a sleeping MacBook.

I have been hearing a lot about kernal panics in MacBooks.

I just tried to reproduce this a few times and can't. Maybe it's an interaction with a piece of software you have, or something got fouled up in OS X. Hopefully you don't have some kind of hardware issue.

I did have the kernel panics related to removing earphones, but either 10.4.6. or 10.4.7 fixed it.

you were noting earlier that there were macbooks having logic board problems (in a post where someone asked imac or macbook?)

if this is truethen you may want to act on your suspicion. have you tried a clean install?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've decided to try an Archive & Reinstall before contacting Apple. But first I am making a complete backup because I've never met anybody that regretted making a backup.

The backup is going to take a while, as I only have 30gb free on my 120gb hard drive.

I'll post in this thread again when I have more news.

Prof'

I did an Archive & Install today, and now I'm unable to reproduce the kernel panic problem I was having before. It may be just a bit too soon to be certain, but it seems as though it is fixed.

This is a much better result than sending my MacBook back to Apple for repair!

I've only noticed 2 minor issues as a result of the Archive & Install, first the MacBook forgot the WEP key for our WLAN - very easy to fix, and it also forgot the login picture I had assigned to my user account - also a very trivial issue.

My copy of Macrodobe DreamWrecker is still registered, and it has remembered my keychain too.

It was my first time reinstalling an Apple OS, so I was very gentle with myself. It didn't hurt nearly as much as I was worried it might.

It seems like a happy ending :-)

it's good that you got it fixed. If you have any problems though, well, you know wwhat to do. (post)

I did an Archive & Install today, and now I'm unable to reproduce the kernel panic problem I was having before. It may be just a bit too soon to be certain, but it seems as though it is fixed.

This is a much better result than sending my MacBook back to Apple for repair!

I've only noticed 2 minor issues as a result of the Archive & Install, first the MacBook forgot the WEP key for our WLAN - very easy to fix, and it also forgot the login picture I had assigned to my user account - also a very trivial issue.

My copy of Macrodobe DreamWrecker is still registered, and it has remembered my keychain too.

It was my first time reinstalling an Apple OS, so I was very gentle with myself. It didn't hurt nearly as much as I was worried it might.  

It seems like a happy ending :-)

I have had to do an archive and install twice, and a little tip, go thru the folder called previous systems, and erase it. It is mostly uneeded stuff.