Sign in to follow this  
Diman

White Screen with Red Lines

Hi All,

I got AppleCare to assist with a microphone problem the other day and now whenever I powerdown my MacBook and start it up, I get a White Screen with Red Verticle Lines. I can get around this issue with Option-Command-P-R on start-up, but I surely shouldn't have to do this everytime I boot. Anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks.

You sure are having issues aren't you? What did Apple do to fix the last issue? Sounds like that has caused this issue?

Earlier in the week AppleCare got me to Reset NVRAM and Reset PMU, after this I get White Screen with Red Vertical Lines on Start-up.

AppleCare has now suggested that I may have a corrupt Software Image that shipped with my MacBook and I should perform a Apple Hardware Test and if this comes up OK, I should Backup Data and Reinstall from the OS X Install Disks.

Reinstalling will be such a pain, as I have already loaded my 80Gb HDD up with Music, Pictures, Movies and Software. Any suggestions other than Reinstall? Thanks.

I can't advise anything beyond what they told you to do. Run hardware test to rule out hardware problems, and if it passes reinstall. I assume you loaded all that stuff on from a previous machine. Do you still have it that you could put it all back on there temporarily?

With as much as people champion Apple's superior quality, it really sucks when people wind up with these troublesome cases. Makes us look like liars. I blame manufacturing outsourcing, which all OEMs do these days...

If you don't want to go into too much trouble, backup the "users" folders. THis will savwe user data. any other apps can be reinstalled. It would be best to reinstall so you can refresh any missing files.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I did backup my data and settings onto an external Firewire HDD and then reinstalled from OS X Install Disks. This process did take 6 hours, but was overall much easier than trying to reinstall a Windows machine.

I am happy to say that my MacBook is running very nicely now. It appears to run much faster than it did before.

I wonder if this is a manufacturing defect with the way they image the hard drives. Has anyone heard of this happening to MacBook users lately?

A master drive may have a corrupt image. The easy way to fix any issues is to run an archive and install. or an erase and install off the CDs.

I did contemplate Archive and Install, but I figured that if I had serious software corruption a clean install would be better. I not only have a faster running machine, I seem to have gained back 10Gb of disk space after restoring all my data, which is a bonus! Thanks for your tip.

Because the hdd's need to be formatted so quickly,it can interrrupt the quality of the restore. this may be why fresh systems run better than default.