Sign in to follow this  
MacCast

Freeing up Hard Drive space in OS X

Hey gang. I got an email from a listener and need your help. Basically he wants tips for clearing out files in OS X (temp files, caches, logs, etc) to free up hard drive space. Also any good tips for storage management mighbe nice too. What tips do you have? For example:

Next time you do a clean install of OS X, choose custom options and don't install any languages you won't need to use.

Thanks for the help.

I always have a Smart Folder set to pick up any file over a certain size; this way I can remember to delete them later if I don't want it. Other than that and the language thing all I do is not install tons of applications on a whim; I install "trials" to another user account for easy disposal later.

I run a widget called desktop dustup that moves files older than x days on my desktop to my recycle bin. This makes my desktop clean. I don't risk anthing because mostly downloaded dmg files and temproary files are on my desktop.

Garageband loops and stuff and iDVD themes take up huge amounts of space. If you absolutely never use those, you might consider getting rid of that stuff.

he could use an application to see what the biggest files are that he doesnt need or use and delete those. i used "whatsize" to figure this out when i needed more mac HD space

When I ran Monolingual and deleted all languages other than English and US English, I retrieved an amazing 2.4GB of space from my HDD. I had no idea that it would free up that much space. Have any of you reported such success? It really does make massive difference that 2.4GB when you live off a 60GB HD which is only 39GB after formating and pre-installing.

I wonder why the amount of space used up by language files is inconsistent between Mac models.

Also, if you want to get even more free space, erase free space and then reboot.

When I ran Monolingual and deleted all languages other than English and US English, I retrieved an amazing 2.4GB of space from my HDD. I had no idea that it would free up that much space. Have any of you reported such success?
I'm running on my new 2.0GHz MacBook with a 100GB HD. Yes, I freed up about 2.5 GB of space by just deleting stuff like those uselss languages and a few retarded applecations.

What do you mean, "erase free space?" How can you erase free space?

I'm running on my new 2.0GHz MacBook with a 100GB HD. Yes, I freed up about 2.5 GB of space by just deleting stuff like those uselss languages and a few retarded applecations.

What do you mean, "erase free space?" How can you erase free space?

Go to disk utilities and then it is under the erase tab.