Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Battery/Power Query

Hi guys, hope someone can solve this on for me, I'm from the UK, I'm getting married in Vegas in April 07 and we've just come into some money, that means a trip to the vegas apple store is on the cards, we're gonna get a Macbook Pro for me, a new macbook for the missus and a mac mini for the lounge, my only concern is, will the Macs work ok if I use british power supplies once we're home?

i use my charger for my powerbook no problem everytime i'm abroad by using a cheap travel adaptor but i dont know how a US mac mini would be over on this side of the pond, dont want the house to blow up or a new mac to die 10 seconds after using it at home!

Joe, I can't answer your question directly I am afraid; I am awful with that kind of thing. I can however offer that there are subtle differences in the US and UK keyboard layouts; so although the keys may at a glance appear to be the same, and while you can always change the layout in software, some of the symbols may not match exactly.

At least; this was true of both the PowerBook and iBook.

cheers matt, i think my powerbook has a US keyboard layout too so thats not so much of a problem, i think i should be ok using a travel adaptor

can't you just buy a Power adapter from apple UK? It should be the same wattage.

Yeah, if the US adapters don't work, you could always just buy UK ones once you get home (then you have US adapters for any time you travel back). I don't think it'll be an issue though. The power that goes into the computer is the same nomatter what, since the adapter's job is to convert it into what the computer expects. Looking at my MacBook's adapter, it can accept anything from 100–240V, 50–60hz. According to Wikipedia, the UK's power is 230V, 50hz, so it should be fine. The only hurdle is adapting the connectors to fit in a UK outlet, a process you're already familiar with.

Hi guys, hope someone can solve this on for me, I'm from the UK, I'm getting married in Vegas in April 07 and we've just come into some money, that means a trip to the vegas apple store is on the cards, we're gonna get a Macbook Pro for me, a new macbook for the missus and a mac mini for the lounge, my only concern is, will the Macs work ok if I use british power supplies once we're home?  

i use my charger for my powerbook no problem everytime i'm abroad by using a cheap travel adaptor but i dont know how a US mac mini would be over on this side of the pond, dont want the house to blow up or a new mac to die 10 seconds after using it at home!

I believe you will find that all current Apple power supplies will work just fine with the 240VAC 60Hz in the UK. I certainly had no trouble with my MacBook power supply earlier this month in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Of course you'll need US to UK plug adapters, but those are just passive electrical connectors so they should not cost very much.

You should just need to buy the correct little adapter that snaps into your supply.

Exactly. Apple sells em seperately online and retail.

good stuff, thanks for all the help people, the question now is am i getting the mbpro, mb and mini or am i waiting to see whats available in april 07!

they proboly will still be the mbp, mb, and mini names but they will have faster chips inside them, buy what is new at the time a purchase.