Sign in to follow this  
applgeek

Dell LCD

I've recently been looking into getting a 19" LCD Display. I like the Dell Ultrasharp, it happens to be on sale, and it has a convenient usb hub. I was wondering if there was any advantage to "ultrasharp" or whether i should just go to fry's and get a cheap lcd and a USB Hub.

I would look at the contrast ratios and native resolution. Also try out the cheap monitor before you buy it. Some cheap LCDs still have that obnoxious ghost effect which makes games unplayable, and is annoying for even things as simple as moving a window or scrolling. Gives me a headache.

We have a number of Dell Ultrasharp LCDs here, and they are very good displays. I use two of them in my office, and my partner has two in his office connected to 2 SunRays in a dual head configuration.

We have 2 that are 20.1", one 19" and one 17" in our house/data center. None has ever failed or behaved unexpectedly.

I'd have to say they are well above average in sharpness and detail, but their color fidelity may not be quite as good as displays costing twice as much. I do not prefer the Dell displays for working with photographs, but they may be no more than a personal preference I suppose.

All things considered they are among the best you could get when you consider quality against price. I certainly prefer the display built in to my iMac for working with photographs.

I am particularly wondrering if there's a major difference between "ultrasharp" and a regular monitor with the same specs.

The Ultrasharp Dells tend to have a greater pixel density per inch than the non-ultrasharp ones. This tends to increase their contrast too. But there not any better than a samsung or an LG or whatever. But they're much better than the bargain brands you can find under $200.

The dell displays are good as are other companies such as samsung and sony but whatever you do don't get a bargain basement lcd. The look horrible and you will regret it.

I am particularly wondrering if there's a major difference between "ultrasharp" and a regular monitor with the same specs.

Within the Dell product line the Ultrasharp displays are much better. Jorellh is correct about the higher pixel density. That alone makes a display better.

As others have said, avoid a bargain basement LCD, it will look terrible.

Compared to another display eg, a viewsonic, samsung, acer, LG, or a regular Dell screen is there any real advantage to a dell ultrasharp? or is it a minor difference? Is it worth 50-100 dollars extra?

Depends on the LG, Sony you're comparing it to, there is a very good chance it's got the same panel inside it.

The Dell Displays offer very good bang for the buck, and you won't be disappointed with it. Just make sure you read some reviews.