Sign in to follow this  
belloc

Do airport base stations just die?

I have an airport "snow" base station that I bought over four years ago, in the spring of 2002. It has been in daily use for me since then, routing wired/wireless LAN traffic for multiple computers (Macs & PCs) to the internet. I've kept up with firmware updates and never had a problem with it since I've owned it.

Last night, it apparently died.

Or at least, it seems to have stopped putting out much of a wireless signal. I can still connect via ethernet (in fact, that's how I'm connected now), and I can control it using the Airport Admin Utility. But my Powerbook no longer sees its signal.

This is weird, though: my Dell desktip PC has a USB wireless adapter, and it seems to know about the airport base station, though it can't connect to the network. I even went in (with the powerbook) and changed the SSID and the broadcast channel, and the Dell Wireless Configuration Utility says that it knows about the (new) network, and it even knows that I put it on a new channel, but the adapter says there's no signal from the network. So it knows the network is there, but it can't get a signal. However, using Netstumbler on the Dell says there's a strong signal from this SSID, but the adapter can't find it.

In all, none of my wireless adapters (PCs or Macs) can get a signal from the network. Macstumbler on the powerbook says there's no network in range. All the gear is in the same room, so there are no distance issues.

Anybody have this happen? Do these things just eventually die like this?

Any electronic device can fail and it appears your Airport Base Station has. However, I wouldn't call it normal. Most electronics will last a very long time.

Any electronic device can fail and it appears your Airport Base Station has. However, I wouldn't call it normal. Most electronics will last a very long time.

Of course. I'd understand if the thing just completely died, and if that happened I certainly wouldn't be posting here about it.

But mine is failing in a very particular way, and I was just wondering if anybody has had a similar thing happen.

seems like software not hardware but I am not sure how to help you.

statistically speaking that if a electrical device doesnt break down in the first 12 months then there is only a 20 chance that it will break downin the next 5 years surprisingly this statistic doesnt get greater over time but it dimisses.

it doesnt happen very often but electrical devicesdo fail.unless ycou bought a sony minidisc player which were designed to fail after 12 months. if a device is built correctly then it should last years. sorry to hear about the base station but if your powerbook cant find it then unfortunatly it has failed.

Is there a way to do a factory reset on the base station? I don't own one, but the Linksys ones I've dealt with have a little pinhole with a button inside to restore their settings to default and start over. You could also try reflashing the firmware.

Is there a way to do a factory reset on the base station? I don't own one, but the Linksys ones I've dealt with have a little pinhole with a button inside to restore their settings to default and start over. You could also try reflashing the firmware.

Thanks for the advice, but it didn't work. I did a hard reset, reloaded the software/firmware, and the behavior is exactly the same. Guess I'll have to pony up for a new wireless router.

i had one of the snowy airports just stop working in the middle of a very important download from school and it would not start up again.