johnkenn

Snowball USB Microphone - too quiet for podcasting

Just a tip for anyone considering buying a Blue Microphone's Snowball USB mic. I got one a few weeks ago for podcasting, and was disappointed to discover the volume level is WAY too low for recording voices.

I'm not alone in this discovery either - there are multiple posts on the BlueMic.com website forum that discuss the same issue. Unfortunately Blue then started preventing comments from being posted to the Forum (you can see some replies if you login, and then pretend to reply to a posting).

Now some users report the Snowball works well - but plenty of others are like me, and are stuck with a stylish but useless microphone. Blue have ignore all my emails to their Support email address. The fact they are blocking their foum is interesting too (not in a good way either).

Rumor has it that a firmware update will fix this - but apparently Blue have been telling people this for months, and there's still no sign.

As podcasters, or fans of podcasting, I'm sure there are many folks in this forum interested in microphones. Until Blue fix the Snowball, you might want to consider the Samson USB microphone instead, which doesn't seem to suffer from the same low-volume issue.

one of the modes on the snowball is meant to be quiet.

one of the modes on the snowball is meant to be quiet.

Well, yes. There are three settings, including one with a 10db Pad. I know that, as do the other folks posting to BlueMic and Macintouch with similar issues. This isn't user error. It's a design flaw.

Just a tip for anyone considering buying a Blue Microphone's Snowball USB mic. I got one a few weeks ago for podcasting, and was disappointed to discover the volume level is WAY too low for recording voices.

I'm not alone in this discovery either - there are multiple posts on the BlueMic.com website forum that discuss the same issue. Unfortunately Blue then started preventing comments from being posted to the Forum (you can see some replies if you login, and then pretend to reply to a posting).

Now some users report the Snowball works well - but plenty of others are like me, and are stuck with a stylish but useless microphone. Blue have ignore all my emails to their Support email address. The fact they are blocking their foum is interesting too (not in a good way either).

Rumor has it that a firmware update will fix this - but apparently Blue have been telling people this for months, and there's still no sign.

As podcasters, or fans of podcasting, I'm sure there are many folks in this forum interested in microphones. Until Blue fix the Snowball, you might want to consider the Samson USB microphone instead, which doesn't seem to suffer from the same low-volume issue.

I was over at Blue's website and notice they had mention of updates, maybe this will fix your 'too quiet' problem?

Randy at http://www.MacSeven.com