Sign in to follow this  
John

Tiger on old G4

I'm wondering if I can squeeze Tiger onto a G4 Powerbook. It's only got 384 RAM, 400 MHz processer, and about 2 gigs of hard drive space. I know the specs say at least 3 gigs, but I'm wondering if I can fudge that--and if I do whether it will be terminally slow. Am currently running 10.3.9. Thanks.

There are ways to reduce the size of a Tiger installation after it has completed, but I'm not aware of a way to reduce it during the installation process. I expect the installation would fail and might leave the notebook in a (fixable) non-bootable condition.

Perhaps you might be able to connect an external hard drive, install Tiger on that, then reduce the size of that installation sufficiently to make it fit, then clone it to your internal drive.

I would not try this. I think you would be entering into the valley of tears.

Even if you did succeed, I'd expect Tiger to perform miserably if it did not have several hundred megabytes of free hard disk to use for swapping memory and creating cache files.

I'm wondering if I can squeeze Tiger onto a G4 Powerbook. It's only got 384 RAM, 400 MHz processer, and about 2 gigs of hard drive space. I know the specs say at least 3 gigs, but I'm wondering if I can fudge that--and if I do whether it will be terminally slow. Am currently running 10.3.9. Thanks.

Do you have 2 free gigs or a 2 gig HD?

You might get away with it. Run a custom install and get rig of everything but the base OS X. That is about 2GB so you might, might be lucky.

Actually, I did that to free up my 2 gigs (my HD only holds 10). Even parted with some beloved 3rd party apps.

I'd scan it with Disk Inventory X and see if there is anything you missed.

Thanks for the tip. I found a half gig of audio files that I knew nothing about.

I'm now approaching 3 gigs of free HD space. Is it worth trying to get there to install Tiger or is my RAM (387) and processor speed (400) insufficient?

Since you are running 10.3.9 you should have enough space for an install because you will get the memory from your previous osx system. And also, I had tiger running on my G3 iBook clamshell running at 366MHZ with 192mb of ram and it wasn't too bad.

-Mark

Run Monolingual too.

I'm a bit reluctant to run Monolingual. I think I used Macaroni once to strip out foreign languages and it ended up disabling spell check in Word.

You should be able to customize the installation of OS X during the intall process. If you do that, the extra language files will never be there in the first place.

I'm wondering if this is a good idea at all though. If you can only free up that much room, even if you squeeze Tiger into it you may have problems. The OS needs a certain amount of overhead for file system maintenance and virtual memory. With the amount of RAM you have, OS X will be hitting the hard drive a lot for VM. You might be better off to pick up an external firewire drive and move everything but the OS and applications off to it. Smallest I see readily available in a quick search are 40gb drives for something in the neighborhood of $100.