Sign in to follow this  
sonictonic

Can someone pls recommend a hard drive for my new MacBook?

I'm looking for one that's 100-120GB (isn't 120GB the max that the MacBook will recognize anyway? Someone told me that...) and also it has to be under $200, preferably under $150...

Also... I'd like it to be at a store I could go pick it up at here in California...

Here is the thing, yes I have done research on this myself, but I'm confused and need help :( I thought I found a good one that would work at Fry's Electronics, and saw the same one at Circuit City, but then found out it's not compatible :P

Maybe someone can just verify for me what exactly I need to look for? My understanding is that I need a 2.5" notebook hard drive that is SATA (I don't know what SATA is but I know it has to be that, right?)

Thanks for your help in advance!!! :)

The information "120gb is the maximum that the MacBook will recognize" is false. What is true is that 120gb is the largest drive Apple is offering preinstalled.

The important thing to keep in mind when upgrading a MacBook hard drive is that it uses a SATA interface. This is a relatively new development in notebook hard drives. Most older notebooks use the IDE hard drive interface, such a drive will not wqork in a MacBook.

I just read that OWC (macsales.com) is selling two different models of 160gb SATA drives which they are explicitly targeting at the MacBooks.

I'd suggest you avoid the Hitachi drives, as they are descended from IBM hard drives, and IBM made the notoriously unreliable Deathstar series (sometimes called Deskstar). We had 4 of them fail within 6 months, and that was just in our home!

I ordered my MacBook with the optional 120gb drive, Apple installed a TOSHIBA MK1234GSX and it has been flawless. It is very quiet too.

Please tell us which drive you end up getting, and how you like it.

Hey Professor,

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it.

Okay so... I just got back from Circuit City and Best Buy, and am walking away a little suprised and kinda disappointed that they did not have any drives that seemed compatible with a MacBook. I thought I had found one, but then the guy said the MacBook needs SATA2 - I was like, HUH? ...so I didn't get it.

I only saw like 2 choices, of a notebook 2.5" drive that was SATA... but not SATA2 whatever that means. So man am I confused! He suggested I go to this store an hour away that sells Apple stuff, or to call Apple directly.

Am I just better off forcing myself to be patient, and get the MacBook BTO? (I am buying a MacBook tomorrow, but am yet undecided if I wanna wait for Apple to upgrade it for me, or if I wanna go buy it and have that great instant-gratification and install a bigger drive myself. I'm torn, but now it seems like this is a lot more headache than I expected...

Avoiding the Hitachi drive because of the IBM Deathstars is stupid. That was one model, and a limited run of them at that. That's like saying "You should avoid Ford because I had a car accident with with a Jaguar and Ford owns them"

Just buy what's decently priced, and give you the amount of space you want.

At www.newegg.com you can get a 120 GB Seagate for $159.99 and a 100 GB Hitachi is $109.99. Those are both 5200 RPM drives.

I would recommend Both Newegg and OWC, although I can say i like OWC better. I just ordered ram from them. Newegg on the other hand is a good reseller, but i think OWC is more aimed at the mac universe.

Avoiding the Hitachi drive because of the IBM Deathstars is stupid.

I had started to worry about you after I posted several negative comments about Microsoft recently, and you did not reply by calling me stupid.

It's reassuring to know that you are still willing to discuss my stupidity.

I've never called you stupid. I think you're little bit of a bigoted zealot, but I know you're not stupid.

The quote is already there... so I don't need to re-quote. I said it was stupid to avoid Hitachi drives.

I didn't say "You're stupid if you avoid Hitachi drives"

Hey Professor,  

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it.  

Okay so... I just got back from Circuit City and Best Buy, and am walking away a little suprised and kinda disappointed that they did not have any drives that seemed compatible with a MacBook. I thought I had found one, but then the guy said the MacBook needs SATA2 - I was like, HUH? ...so I didn't get it.  

I only saw like 2 choices, of a notebook 2.5" drive that was SATA... but not SATA2 whatever that means. So man am I confused! He suggested I go to this store an hour away that sells Apple stuff, or to call Apple directly.

Am I just better off forcing myself to be patient, and get the MacBook BTO? (I am buying a MacBook tomorrow, but am yet undecided if I wanna wait for Apple to upgrade it for me, or if I wanna go buy it and have that great instant-gratification and install a bigger drive myself. I'm torn, but now it seems like this is a lot more headache than I expected...

You should get the system with the small hard drive as you had planned. What you need to be patient with is ordering the drive online. Go to OWC and buy a hard drive that they say will work in a Macbook and a 2.5" external enclosure. I have never heard of SATA 2 but regardless circuit city and bestbuy are TERRIBLE places to buy computer hardware. They have no idea what they are talking about and they are waaaay overpriced. Get something from OWC and you will get a much better deal plus you know it will work. Get the biggest drive you can afford and take the drive that comes in your macbook and put it in the external enclosure. Now you have a big internal drive and a very portable external firewire or USB drive for a similar price as to what you would pay from apple for just upgrading. Alternatively you could sell your new external enclosure on ebay and probably make a good amount of the money back that you spent on upgrading.

Newegg is also very good but they don't tell you what drives will work in your macbook.

josh, thanks so much dude! :)

those are great suggestions. i think i am gonna go to the apple store this afternoon!! can't wait! :D

I would have to second joshr's opinion on owc.(and the $$ retail stores) OWC is a great place to go for mac and iPod acessories and upgrades. (as i have noted)

As for the IBM and hitachi debate, i will note that IBM and hitachi do make the same products (there are differences also) and professor has the right to not like them. I would guess that after deeathstars they innovated better products, but you never know what garbage they're cranking out today. Goatman noted the jag coompared to ford analogy, but i think it's a little different than that. If the engine blew for no reason on your jag, then you would have every right to blame ford for poor engineering.

If you crash it, it's not the car company's fault.

anyy I think thaat the writer of this post get's the point that he should look around at owc for whatever floats his boat.

Sata2 drives support faster transfer rates when used with a sata2 controller. The interface is the same and sata2 is backwards compatible. The only limit of the drive size for Macbook and Macbook Pro is the biggest one you can get your hands on.

As a bonus for those that don't know the SATA connectors on the laptop drives are the same as the desktop drives.

Continuing Razor635's comments, SATAI supports transfer rates of 150 megabytes per second (1.5gbits/s, if there's bit/byte confusion), and SATAII supports twice that, at 300, and 3gbits/s. I'm not sure if the Macbook supports it, but either way, an SATAI connection should be able to sustain as much bandwidth as a 5400rpm drive can give out.

Continuing Razor635's comments, SATAI supports transfer rates of 150 megabytes per second (1.5gbits/s, if there's bit/byte confusion), and SATAII supports twice that, at 300, and 3gbits/s.  I'm not sure if the Macbook supports it, but either way, an SATAI connection should be able to sustain as much bandwidth as a 5400rpm drive can give out.

Okay so just to be 100% clear: I need an SATA ...OR... a SATA2 drive? Either will work in the MacBook I guess? I've never seen a drive designated as SATA2 but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. :P

If the SATA2 is faster and the MacBook supports it, shouldn't we be goin for one of those instead of a regular SATA1 drive? Or it sounds like you're saying it doesn't matter, as in a 5400rpm drive both will be about the same speed roughly? Maybe you can make this clearer for me so I understand it :lol:

PS - I just got home with my 1.83GHz MacBook and I am so excited :) It's charging right now :) I'm typing this on the iBook I sold on eBay a couple days ago, heh...

Newegg doesn't list ANY notebook hard drives that support SATAII. They are all SATA150 or ATA.

Most modern desktop hard drives are SATA2. Also called "SATA 3.0 Gb/s"

The connectors are the same. It's dependent on the slowest part, just like USB. Your iPod might support USB2, but if your hub is USB 1.1, you're not going to get USB2 speeds, but it will work. Same thing. If your logic board only supports SATAI, you're not going to get speeds any faster no matter what drive you plug in.

This is probably a lot less confusing than I'm making it out to be. =D

This is probably a lot less confusing than I'm making it out to be. =D

Yeah, lol... So um, can you recommend a hard drive for me? You're not saying I can buy a desktop SATA2 drive and it will actually fit in my MacBook, are you? :?

Any 2.5" SATA150 drive will work in your MacBook. The MacBooks SATA controller is the Intel ICH7-M Which supports SATA/150 (also incorrectly referred to as SATAII)

the difference is SATA 150 operates at 150 MB/S and the SATA 300 operates at 300 MB/S.

Now there aren't any drives that can saturate the 150 MB/S Pipe, let alone the 300 MB/S.

The spec is backwards compatible, so a 300 drive will work on a 150 controller, and a 150 drive will work on a 300 controller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

Yeah, lol... So um, can you recommend a hard drive for me? You're not saying I can buy a desktop SATA2 drive and it will actually fit in my MacBook, are you?  :?

No, I'm not. I'm trying to define "SATA2" because there was some confusion. ANY SATA 2.5" drive (that is, notebook sized) should work great. Try OWC and Newegg here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....SubCategory=380