Jubilee

What made you fall in love with a mac?

What first drew you to a mac?

just lookm at them im a sucker for something beautiful.

i would never have found out about them if it wasnt for the ipod information on the mac is few and far between here in the uk.

My parents have always used Macintosh computers. I learnt to use computers on macs.

The Titanium PowerBook and OS X. Both fantastic examples of engineering. I had to buy a Mac laptop for art school, and at the time I first heard of this OS 9 was the default and I was a little unenthused. Then, I saw the TiBook on TechTV and thought it was too cool for words. Shortly after, the Screen Savers were demoing OS X and my reservations mostly melted away.

When I was a we lad, my uncle was a reseller of media solutions (software such as Adobe, Autodesk/Descrete, Avid) and Apple hardware. I was always into creating things, so Macs were the way to go. I never saw anything attractive about Windows. The way I saw it was like the new Apple ad campaign. Windows users were stuffy, boring business people, and Mac users were cool, fun creative people. It was never a difficult discussion for me.

I'd been around macs for a long time, but I never knew OSX existed until late Jaguar. I had always used OS9, and thought how superior WinXP was. I'd seen the iMacs, but I never thought they were that cool.

I have to be the poster boy for the iPod halo effect. I'll have to share my story of how one silver 1g iPod mini has indirectly led to nearly $15k in revenue for Apple sometime. The mini was PERFECT. I absolutely loved it, and then I realized the same people would put the same devotion into their OS. I went to the OSX page for Panther, watched the latest keynote, and I was sold.

As lame as it sounds... iMovie. About four years ago I decided I was going to save up for a new computer to edit videos on, my uncle told me that Apple computers came with iMovie which was a great basic video editing program. I trusted my uncle so I did loads of research and eventually decided on the eMac because it was the cheapest Mac with a superdrive at the time.

The biggest thing though, Macs are just plain sexy. I grew up on lame PC's with tan exteriors. Macs look so much cooler. Four years after I bought it, I still think my eMac has an awesome design and looks very cool, even though it is 60 pounds and pretty large...

OSX. I had used macs since the Mac classic but later switched to PC's like the rest of the world. I went back when OSX came out and basically worked like a PC should. It was everything windows always wanted to be while I found OS9 cumbersome. Great customer service and slick design sealed the deal.

osx.gif

yay

I purchased my first iPod in February 2005. At some point in early April, I happened across an ad for Tiger and started looking into it. I finally talked my wife into letting me purchase a Mac and I placed the order on April 29, 2005, the day that Tiger was released. The ease of use of the iPod and the beauty of the products and software are what made me switch at home.

I owe all of my using a Mac to a professor at the department I study English at. I was (and still am) working there also as an IT service guy and one day she approached me and asked if I could help her install her iPod mini. That was the first time I held an iPod in my hands - and what can I say: Next day I ordered one myself on Amazon. Just a few months later I had the money so I purchased a 1.25 GHz 1st gen Mac Mini. This has been more than a year ago and now I also own a Macbook. Thanks, Prof :D

That they last longer and are more stable than PCs. I was sick of buying a new PC to only have it break w/in 2-3 years. Then of course, once I started using a Mac, I was an instant convert!! :D

I lusted after those colourful iMacs back in the late '90s, but we couldn't afford one at the time. Years later when the Mac mini came out I was able to purchase one. Since then, we've bought two more Macs and 5 iPods and I'm completely obsessed now. :mellow:

I work in IT and have to deal with too many computers that break all the time! ( PC's ) and I see it as a vacation from work when I can come home and jump on one of my MACs and just get it done!

It was actually the Lisa that I fell in love with.

I was a grad student at UC Berkeley, learning this new-fangled Unix operating system, and I was beginning to rebel at the command names. What bugged me was that I already had a half-dozen operating systems under my belt, but here I was, having to relearn how to do even the most basic things.

Consider the command to delete a file. I already knew:

REMOVE

REM

RM

DELETE

DEL

DF (short for Delete File)

UNSAVE (as used on the GE Mark IV)

and now for Unix I had to learn yet another:

unlink

(Later versions of Unix added "rm" as a more intuitive alias, but "unlink" accurately describes what it really does, and at the time I was learning Unix that was the only way to do it. You couldn't yet even add an alias—that wouldn't happen until csh came on the scene.)

Why did OS designers have to be so contrary? Why couldn't I just walk up to a computer and know right away at least a few common commands?

But I'd heard about this new personal computer called the Lisa, on sale for only $10K. I stopped by a computer store on the way home from work one day to take a look.

I looked at the trash can in the corner.

I stared at the trash can in the corner.

I got excited by the trash can in the corner.

I know how to use a trash can! Just walking up to the computer, without so much as glancing at a manual, I knew already how to delete files! Oh, wondrous day. A computer with an intuitive user interface. Finally.

I played around some more. Eventually I got into LisaCalc, and found myself needing to change the width of a column in the spreadsheet. I searched all the menus, looking for a menu command like "Adjust column width" or "Resize Column" or something like that. Couldn't find one. Finally, disappointed that this function, at least, appeared not to be intuitive, I asked a salesman. He used the mouse to grab the dividing line and drag it. I was blown away. The only reason it wasn't obvious was that it was too obvious.

I'm a programmer. I know how complicated that is. I know how hard it is to program, and how hard it is for the computer to do. And yet, Apple's programmers had decided that my convenience was more important than theirs. I didn't even know such programmers existed (except for myself, of course :unsure: ).

And that's when I fell in love with Lisa/Macintosh. Still couldn't afford one, though. The first one I owned was the "Fat Mac", with a whopping 512KB of memory, and floppy drives that sang. But that Fat Mac (his name was Zweitefuss) converted a lot of other people to Macintosh, because I loved showing him off.

I have to admit, I hated macs. Hated them with a passion. That is, until I shared a flat with a mac user in my first year of uni. I got my first iPod that year, and three months later, I had my mac mini. It was such a revelation actually spending time using my computer rather than fixing it all the time.

Four years later I'm on my third mac, my career revolves around them, I queued up for 36 hours to get my hands on the first phone sold by apple in the uk and I have an apple tattoo.

Yep, I'd say I'm hooked.

My Dad was actually the reason i am a mac freak. He was buying a new computer and he went for Apple. So he bought an iMac G5 which he is still using. But we wen't to a really bad-service shop and the credit machine broke and we were there for about 3 hours, luckily the place where we paid was right next to the Apple department, so I spent my time there. And that's when I became a mac freak. I also used some Bondi iMac's in primary school, though I didn't really think them all that different since they were the first computers I had eve been on... :blink:

I had a used powerbook 150 and mac LC II from seventh grade through high school. They were old, but amazingly reliable. They finally croaked in my junior year (2003), the powerbook from battery problems and the LC from disk failure. In the mean time my family had been through two PCs: The first was an old gray box running windows 3.1 later upgraded to 95, the second was an HP Pavilion with Windows ME. Both were nothing but headaches, and the HP was replaced with a new Dell last year. As a graduation gift, I received a Dell laptop. I've had to reformat my hard drive twice in the four years I've had it.

In a month or so, after I save a little, I'll have my new Macbook. I can't wait to finally get back to a reliable system!

Edited by jlamb0

The first time I saw MacPaint, I was hooked. Yes, I've been using Macs for a very long time, since 1985 to be exact.

Well, it all started one strange night in vegas. I had been a hard core pc user for all my life. Little did I know that my views would be forever changed, and to think it all started when I lost $5000 in a blackjack game. I was so depressed I spent the rest of my money on a bottle of vodka. I am not too sure what happened after that, but I awoke a week later, handcuffed to a bed, with an iMac G5 and a PowerBook gently massaging my chest. Since then, I have been a Mac guy.

Touching story, I have had a similar experience. It was on a cold winters day, in my house in England. I fell asleep on the sofa infront of my Dad's iMac G5 and I woke up with it lying next to me and anti-virus on my body. It converted me and now theres no need for protection. We love eachother.

For me, it was working with Apple reps at the Torino Olympics. They seemed like my kind of people and I figured their products would reflect that. And I was right!!!!

my dad has always had macs... we haddn't ever had a windows computer in the house until last august... stupid cyber school :(

o well... at least i didn't pay for it :) , well with money at least ;)

I love my Mac because it just works, unlike the Windows box I used to have, which needed a lot of TLC to keep working.

BTW For the same reason I liked my C64 and Amiga computers. They just worked and didn't dictate how to use my computer. In fact, I loved those computers even more than a Mac. Especially the Amiga was a wonderful computer for its time. Windows was a step in the wrong direction, but the Mac give me the same feeling as the Amiga gave me.