DaviYavi

is it worth getting a .mac account?

Hi, I'm a switcher for 2 months and am making myself familiar with the mac software. I wanted to ask long-time mac users if they think getting a .mac account is worth the $$.

I get the backup/sync feature, but what about the other features?

i dont think that it is worth it, if you are just looking for backup software you can get that for $30 for great software... i recommend carbon copy

i use it all the time, i may not use all the features but i still think it is worth it.

jack

Oh man, I highly recommend it. I've had a membership since it was iTools and the space was only 100M. Now it offers a generous 1G of storage and features like backup, anti-virus (not really needed), Blogs, groups, iWeb etc. I also use the syncing feature to keep my calenders, bookmarks and addresses in sync across computers. I also like the iphoto slideshow feature.

Surely the answer is that it depends on your needs. As has been discussed over and over again if your just looking for backup storage space there are other cheaper alternatives.

For me my files are too big to back up on .mC, I dont have a huge Iphoto collection and I use safari so I cant back up my favourites, Ical Ive only just started using and I dont need a new email address so its a no. Go through the list of features it offers and tick off what you'd use, if you need up with storage space and address book back up you can do that easily outside of .mac for a cheaper price. However if it makes sense because you'll use the majority of its features then go for it.

For me its really that simple.

I agree with work and turn that it depends on your needs. My wife and I own a wedding photography business. We have three macs here at the office and two photographers that also have macs. The ability to sync and publish iCal calendars to the web has proven to be invaluable for us. I can add or delete events and be sure that everyone is kept up to speed. I've heard of third party apps that will essentially do the same thing but I find it hard to believe that it would happen as easily or be as tightly integrated with Apple's core apps. Also, one of my photographers designs wedding albums for us. We use my iDisk to transfer files to and from each other.

.Mac has made what used to be a very daunting task automatic and painless. For my needs the $99 price tag is a bargain.

...For my needs the $99 price tag is a bargain.

You can often purchase .Mac on Amazon for only $79.

Yeah, I used the Amazon method as well. You can renew your .mac account manually each year with another $79 Amazon purchased box, so there's no real need to pay the full $100 except the convenience.

If you have multiple Macs, .mac's usefulness in syncing your data is obvious. If you intend to use the online features of iLife like iWeb or iPhoto's Photocasting, it probably won't get any easier than using .mac. Even with a single Mac, the automatic sync of your personal calendars, address book, etc is handy as a backup. .mac is not a replacement for a full service web host, nor is it the ultimate backup, but it is great for basic web needs, keeping your Macs synchonized, and backups of personal information. The Backup application it gives you will also help you to make backups of your big media files (photos, movies, music) to CD or DVD. Even if you don't intend to use the .mac mail account, you can set it to forward to your Gmail, Yahoo, or whatever then bask in your personal glory as you hand out an @mac.com email to people. :P

The backup solution is no longer needed with time machine. I have .mac which I purchased recently, and I love how integrated it is with ilife and even third party applications. If anything I would buy just to have an @mac.com e-mial B)

Edited by macdood13

The backup solution is no longer needed with time machine. I have .mac which I purchased recently, and I love how integrated it is with ilife and even third party applications. If anything I would buy just to have an @mac.com e-mial B)

well time machine wont be out for another 8 months. but do you really think that it is worth the $99 just to have a @mac.com account?

yeah but what about iweb posting and stuff, just because time machine is coming otu doesnt mean ALL u get is just a mac email address, im gunna buy my mac account as soon as my credit card arrives lol (im a student)

Time machine requires an second hard drive which is bigger than the drive you're backing up. I doubt as many people are going to do that as Steve thinks (there really needs to be a way to narrow Time Machine's focus to just a certain folder).

I would like to see more of .mac's synced data available online. How cool would it be to go to any computer, log into .mac, and have access to your calendar, bookmarks, and address book? You can already access your iDisk over the web, why can't you view your synced data?

Time Machine is too large in scope to even touch online there just isnt enough speed or fast enough connections. But i really think apple should invest in bringing the .mac system in to this century, Apple could really do with taking what gMail and Google Calendar does and adding the usual flare and GUI and i would be a happy geek

jack

At this point, I'm planning to let my .mac expire. I just don't use enough of it to justify the expense anymore. I love the email address, but not enough to spend the money on. I don't have any regrets for having had it, it just doesn't meet my needs anymore.

Hi, I'm a switcher for 2 months and am making myself familiar with the mac software. I wanted to ask long-time mac users if they think getting a .mac account is worth the $$.

I get the backup/sync feature, but what about the other features?

I think it definitely doesn't worth the $99. Look at Spymac, they offer a complete pack that is better than apple (less the integration of course, but oh well) for much less.

Time machine requires an second hard drive which is bigger than the drive you're backing up. I doubt as many people are going to do that as Steve thinks (there really needs to be a way to narrow Time Machine's focus to just a certain folder).

I would like to see more of .mac's synced data available online. How cool would it be to go to any computer, log into .mac, and have access to your calendar, bookmarks, and address book? You can already access your iDisk over the web, why can't you view your synced data?

Trium, you can do this online already, I use it all the time when I'm at my parents house, just just need to go to Mac.com to use it.

roog

while we're talking about .mac, thought i'd ask this. ok, so you can use ichat by logging in to .mac. can you only talk to .mac buddies or can you talk to aim buddys too just from the .mac?

I don't see that value in an .Mac account. For the yearly cost you might as well buy Carbon Copy and a portable hard disk as backup. You have to have an ISP account anyway plus there's gmail.com (free and Mail can download your emails from there if you wish).

Keep it simple that's the key...

I've used .mac since I switched a year ago. I find it very useful as a shared workspace and web based email client (it's vastly improved as of todays update). Where I think it wins for me is the seamless integration with iweb and photocasting etc. It integrates fully with the ilife apps and makes web publishing a breeze.

Put it this way, until I got a mac and .mac web publishing was far too much hassle with ftp servers etc. .mac takes care of all of that and enables me to publish a web page of new photos in a few clicks:

select photos in iphoto

press export to iweb (converts to jpgs and resizes on the fly)

check formatting

publish

That's my idea of convenience - .mac's not cheap but the old cliche is 'it just works'. I know you can do this with other isp ftps etc. but I literally haven't configured anything to make this work.

I also have two machines and the autosyncing between both machines through .mac is very convenient too.

haydn