jb.music

MB or MBP?

As I compare the MB (2.0GHz) and the MBP (2.16 GHz) I wonder how significant the speed difference is. I'm planning to load either machine with 2GB of RAM and the biggest HD I can find. It seems to me the biggest difference in the architecture is the video system, and since I don't do any gaming and only a tiny bit of video editing I wonder if that's a big deal or not. I like the small size of the MB (I've been lugging around a 17" PB G4), and I like the white case, the keyboard and the magnetic latch. I do run high-end audio apps (DP 5.1, Logic, Garage Band) and I'd like to run Aperture.

Thoughts while we wait for WWDC?

Thanks!

---

17" PB G4 1.5GHz

I would go with the MBP AFTER WWDC because the MBP is supposed to get a Core 2 Dup (Merom) chip to replace the Core DUo, the Core 2 spanks the Core Duo.

I would go with the MBP AFTER WWDC because the MBP is supposed to get a Core 2 Dup (Merom) chip to replace the Core DUo, the Core 2 spanks the Core Duo.

There is no where saying it's supposed to happen, Conroe was just released, Merom hasn't been released yet. I would wait until after WWDC just because you never know (considering waiting is only 3 days).

But as far as speed wise, you max the RAM, and put a large and fast HDD into the MacBook, it'll be fast enough to do what you need. I run Sound Track Pro on my 1.83 GHz MacBook with only 512 MB and it's fast enough.

And to tell you the truth there is no big difference in performance between a 2.0 GHz MB and a 2.16 GHz MBP when it comes to stuff that isn't dependent on the video card.

I think Core 2 Duo will end up in the MacBook Pro, but I'm not certain it'll happen next week, it might not happen until January.

The Barefeats site has two good comparisons between the two. Using iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, etc...the MB is neck and neck with the MBP. But as soon as you launch a 3D game, the Macbook crawls and the Pro roars ahead.

So, basically, if you want to play games or render 3D, you only have one choice. Otherwise, the Macbook is the perfect choice.

http://barefeats.com/mbcd4.html

http://barefeats.com/mbcd3.html

As for the Core2s, if you want an MBP it's probably a good idea to wait a few days at least.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=276&a...xpert&pid=6 http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showd...?i=2808&p=6 Actually the Core 2 Duo is not that much faster than the Core Duo, well nothing like other increases in performance we have seen. I would say We're highly likely to see the Core 2 Duo in a laptop at WWDC. Because Intel has already released it, on 27th of July. :P

Edited by Morn

I would say We're highly likely to see the Core 2 Duo in a laptop at WWDC. Because Intel has already released it, on 27th of July. :P

If we do though, it probably won't be for sale Monday the 7th, as Intel won't have it ready for mass shipment until later in August. At least, that's what's been stated. I want a Core2Duo MBP as much as everyone else though.

The difference between the macbook and the macbookpro is all about the video system. However I don't think that is what makes the difference to a potential buyer and certainly in your case I don't think it is what you should base your choice on. Basically the choice comes down to this; do you want a 13", 15", or 17" screen. If you will be fine with a 13" screen get the macbook.

Thanks to all for your advice! I think I'm going to go with the MB 2.0GHz. What tipped the scale for me is being able to upgrade the HD and memory without voiding the warranty. That and the lighter weight and new design features, esp the keyboard and magnetic latch.

Do you have any advice about upgrading HD and memory? The biggest 2.5" SATA drive I've found is 160GB; are there bigger ones? Any memory to avoid? Any to recommend?

Thanks!

i hope you are going to wait till after the conferance.

get the macbook pro. the discrete graphics chip should do a better job with the new core animation in leopard. also, the extra pixels should be a benefit when any application, especially aperture.

the macbook won't run aperture. if that is an issue, the only thing to do is to step up to the MBP. i am going through this same problem right now.

Since we saw the Leopard preview it is worth noting that Leopard will rely more heavily on the GPU for the new core animation.

Since we saw the Leopard preview it is worth noting that Leopard will rely more heavily on the GPU for the new core animation.

Here's my question though... would Apple switch to using dedicated graphics in the MB by the time Leopard is shipping? I seem to think not and I highly doubt Apple would have two different members of the Mac family (MB and Mini) seriously underperforming in Leopard. So I seem to think either it will handle the core animation adequately or there will be much improved integrated chipsets by then. It should be interesting to see what happens with that.

I'm thinking about to buy a MBP (after thinking and thinking, I think MBP 15" is ok for me). For the MBP 15", it is really USD $500 difference between the two configurations. Is that worth? Did anyone here compared the performance differences?

I suppose to have the laptop for three to four years, mainly email, internet surfing, writing articles by Pages.

Will do a little photo editing and video editing, not too much, like 20%. Another concern is I hope I can run parrallel smoothly, since I am a .net developer, I need windows 2003 server + sql server 2005 + visual studio 2005.

Thanks, :rolleyes:

Michael

i hope you are going to wait till after the conferance.
There probably won't be an update for the MacBook and the MacBook Pro until January or later.

Didn't do a good homework before sending this. Just read some posts to say MacBook is fast enough. So the MBP 15" 2GHZ should meet all my needs.

I'm thinking about to buy a MBP (after thinking and thinking, I think MBP 15" is ok for me). For the MBP 15", it is really USD $500 difference between the two configurations. Is that worth? Did anyone here compared the performance differences?

I suppose to have the laptop for three to four years, mainly email, internet surfing, writing articles by Pages.

Will do a little photo editing and video editing, not too much, like 20%. Another concern is I hope I can run parrallel smoothly, since I am a .net developer, I need windows 2003 server + sql server 2005 + visual studio 2005.

Thanks, :rolleyes:

Michael

I was in this dilemna too. But considering theyre both 1st gen intel macs i decided to go for a base macbook and ebay it in 6-9 months when the rev.b models come out. As great as these things are, theres alot of room for improvement in quality, comfort and specs.

Edited by monkeybutler