Trium Shockwave

Leopard preview

BUt who needs, Leopard???

All the people running Intel powered Apples. As I understand it Leopard has been built from the ground up to run on Intel chips and so will be a significant speed upgrade for those computers.

All the people running Intel powered Apples. As I understand it Leopard has been built from the ground up to run on Intel chips and so will be a significant speed upgrade for those computers.

Leopard is not a from the ground up re-code of OS X.....

Yes it's got optimizations for x86 but it's not from the ground up.....

for a comparison, it's like upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

Not like going from OS 9 to OS X that is a from the ground up operation.

To answer the question, Most likely the fancy graphics will just be turned off, like what happens with the Dashboard. No fancy splash effect, but the widgets still work.

in the wwdc keynote the demo system didn't have a new aqua background...what's up with that?

btw...what do you think the demo system at the keynote was? mac pro?

in the wwdc keynote the demo system didn't have a new aqua background...what's up with that?

probably, it was pretty amazing none the less

It was interesting that this was not mentioned like it was when the first Intel based iMac was released. After the demo, Steve mentioned that he had been running it on the new Intel based iMac and went on to tell about the machine.

That did not happen here, so I am of the notion that they did not have a new Mac Pro for the demo.

No new Aqua background??? What are you talking about?

Just the Desktop background? Pr a new interface?? Huh? i don't get it.

I am sure it was a MacPro or PowerMac Quad, of course they used the most powerful avaiable to them.

Bu it might be they used PowerPc if it runs more stable on PowerPc than Intel right now.

Or they might have build their own system or even had it running on a server somethinglike that.

Did anyone notice the stand for the cinema display was aqua in color? Is that just lighting?

(Just checked, it is lighting)

Edited by jorellh

I am very confused about the 32 bit vs 64 bit. It would seem that leopard is a 64 bit only OS yet as I understood it the core duo is a 32 bit chip. So does that mean my brand new mac book pro will be unable to run Leopard? That seems insane but I don't see any other way around it. Maybe there is a 32bit build but it doesn't mention it anywhere and when it's in stores are they going to expect that people know which macs are 64 bit?

I doubt there will be many 64-bit only apps. Maybe something like MATLAB maybe. But for the most part, they can make almost all apps run on 32-bit systems and take advantage of 64-bit if it is available.

I doubt there will be many 64-bit only apps. Maybe something like MATLAB maybe. But for the most part, they can make almost all apps run on 32-bit systems and take advantage of 64-bit if it is available.

So you are suggesting that EDIT: Leopard :EDIT would run as 32 bit on a macbook pro and 64 bit on a macpro? And this can all be done with one version?

Edited by joshr

I don't think there was an Intel version of Jaguar...just kidding I know you meany Leopard. :D

Yes I am suggesting that. And I think even the core duo chip in the Macbook Pro has support for 64-bit instructions even though it isn't truly a 64-bit chip. I'm not up to speed on my Intel chips ever since I made the switch. I'm just hoping they let the G5 take advantage of the same 64-bit features.

i was disappointed at the keynote, nothing i didn't expect, no one more thing. maybe my hopes were up to high

leopard really looks like it's gonna beat vista now. but-

1. no new aqua background yet

2. no dark metal theme for finder or safari yet, but i think iChat has the milk theme now

everything else was great i'm not dissing them or anything, but i expected more

Edited by ipodman

i was disappointed at the keynote, nothing i didn't expect, no one more thing. maybe my hopes were up to high

leopard really looks like it's gonna beat vista now. but-

1. no new aqua background yet

2. no dark metal theme for finder or safari yet, but i think iChat has the milk theme now

everything else was great i'm not dissing them or anything, but i expected more

We don't know what Leopard will look like as a final product yet.

It still needs a lot of work and some features remain top secret to avoid Redmond from starting their photocopiers again.

Edited by ro2nie

my guess is the use of core animation to create more effects i ma shure apple has somthing cool under there sleaves.

I was mainly disapointed by the Leopard preview, I expected there to be a massive improvement on the GUI. I was annoyed when I saw that it pretty much looked exactly the same as tiger except with more memory hogging apps in the left side of the dock.

I was mainly disapointed by the Leopard preview, I expected there to be a massive improvement on the GUI. I was annoyed when I saw that it pretty much looked exactly the same as tiger except with more memory hogging apps in the left side of the dock.

Treat yourself to some more memory then ;)

I have not seen but bits and pieces of the keynote speech from WWDC yet. I heard the demo of the Voiceover technology from Leopard on one of the podcasts that I listen to last night. I am just blown away at what Apple has done with this.

For those who have not heard it, they played demos of what it sounds like in Tiger, what Vista will have, and what Leopard will have. With six to 10 months out before Leopard is here, it might be even better.

there were also many small hints that the GUI wasn't on show or finished yet. It's about functionality as much as design and the developers were being previewed so they could use that functionality. Remember that it's not finished and the final stages are where GUIs are really formed. Also to note is that developers are saying there are clues all around in buttons, colors and so on as well as the fact that the intro movie is still the Tiger intro. Developers have basically told us that Apple haven't worked on the GUI yet.