Cameraman

Monitoring a desktop over internet

I'm helping my Mom get up and running on her new Mac and it would be great if I could see her desktop live in a window on my Mac so I could better assist her. We're both running Tiger. Is there a way currently on my Mac or available on free software that would permit me to do this? It would be over the internet...she has DSL and I have a cable modem.

Does anyone know a way to do this? I don't want to control her Mac...just watch what's happening on the desktop.

Thanks!

Yes, run OSXvnc (free, http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html) on her Mac, and run Chicken of the VNC (free, http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/) on your Mac, in view only mode.

Hope it helps,

Andrew

She has to have something installed on her Mac to do this if all I want to do is monitor her desktop? I've downloaded Chicken of the VNC and it looks like all I may need is that on my Mac...is that not the case?

In the COTVNC VNC Login window, what do I enter for Host, Display and Password? Is the Host her IP address, what would be the display number, and where does the password come from? I'm not a professional IT person so all of this is very new to me. Never heard of VNC before. I looked in the COTNVC Help file and it's not specific enough for me. I need some hand-holding to get this set up.

Also, once this is setup and in use, are there any risks or vulnerabilities while the program is running and connected to a remote computer. Will we need to disable any firewall settings to make this work?

Thanks!

You will need to install a VNC server on the client computer to get this working, once thats done it is simple enough to put the details in the chicken and watch the remote desktop

jack

There is a built in VNC server on macs. Go into sharing turn on Apple remote desktop, in the screen that appears, tick the box that says allow VNC viewers to see this mac and give it a password.

If you're not in the same subnet (or house probably in your case) you'll have to forward port 5900, (think thats the one) to her computer from her router. You don't have to open any ports on your maching or modem.

Then from her machine type "Whats my IP" into google and find out her external IP address, that's the one the you type into the host field.

You should also be aware that unless she has specifically asked for an static IP from the service provider her external IP will change from time to time.

Hope that helps a little.

There is a built in VNC server on macs. Go into sharing turn on Apple remote desktop, in the screen that appears, tick the box that says allow VNC viewers to see this mac and give it a password.

If you're not in the same subnet (or house probably in your case) you'll have to forward port 5900, (think thats the one) to her computer from her router. You don't have to open any ports on your maching or modem.

Then from her machine type "Whats my IP" into google and find out her external IP address, that's the one the you type into the host field.

You should also be aware that unless she has specifically asked for an static IP from the service provider her external IP will change from time to time.

Hope that helps a little.

Now i didnt know OS X had a built in VNC server, just another reason i switched

jack