Sign in to follow this  
evenprimes

No docking station for the MBP

MacBook Pro Dock  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Did Apple mess up by not including a dock option?

• YES!
    • No
    • Who cares/your insane

I'm looking at getting a 15" MBP and a huge deficiency in my mind is the lack of a docking station/port replicator. I'm wondering how people are getting by without one.

Since how someone uses their computer will play a huge role in if they need/want a dock, here's how I work today (non-Apple laptop for now):

-90% of my time I leave my laptop on my desk. I leave all my external accessories plugged into the dock.

-10% of the time I'm mobile (maybe traveling, maybe just working in my living room, whatever)

I find it very convenient to be able to leave everything setup and plugged into the dock and just take my laptop. When I get back being able to just plug in 1 thing and have my whole setup just work.

What's plugged in:

-power

-external USB drive

-USB hub

-2nd monitor

Plugging and un-plugging even that much quickly becomes a drag. Am I way off base or is the lack of a dock a major deficiency in the pro line up?

Curious

PS: Just to be clear, I want a dock OPTION. As in you can use the dock or not, as in you can buy the dock or not. I don't mind paying extra if only a few people will use it and I don't want to "force" everyone to have to have one.

It is a little strange isn't it, given that Apple helped popularize the idea of a dockable laptop with the PowerBook Duo series. Though, as I understand it the Duos didn't sell terribly well which would be why they don't offer them anymore. There are third parties that make docks for Apple notebooks, but the trouble is that they have to be port replicators and are probably a pain to engineer and get everything aligned. I think Apple should at least include a dock connector interface even if they don't plan to make a dock themselves. I don't think anyone has a MacBook or MacBook Pro dock yet.

While it would be nice to have a dock produced by Apple I wouldn't call the absence a mistake. From a business perspective the dock would probably be a loser. Most people simply don't use them.

Keep an eye on this site: http://www.bookendzdocks.com/

While it would be nice to have a dock produced by Apple I wouldn't call the absence a mistake. From a business perspective the dock would probably be a loser. Most people simply don't use them.

Keep an eye on this site: http://www.bookendzdocks.com/

This has been rather eye opening for me. "Most" of the people I know have and like their docks. However, when I really started digging in a bit, most of the people I know have Dell's. I guess I'm just in a sad minority of people who really like docks! :(

Thanks for pointing out the bookendzdocks.com site. I will be keeping an eye on them. I'm guessing that the MBP's MagSafe connector may cause problems for the "all-in-one" kind of solution I want. I guess my choices come down to:

1. Otherwise awesome MBP w/ OS X
  2. Dockable Dell w/ Windows XP/Vista/whatever

Hmm, I guess I can live w/o the dock... :unsure:

Chris

The Dell Inspiron E1705 that I have now does not have a docking port or a docking station either. I believe that the computer companies believe that consumers do not want docking stations or something.

I think Dell only offers a true docking station on their C and D series Latitudes. I think there is an Insprion that uses the same "case" as one of the D series so it can dock as well.

The Dell Inspiron 8500 that I had before this laptop had a docking port with a special docking station. No biggie. I'll just grab me a Kensington port replicator.

because apple is the only maker of the mag-safe connector, 3rd party docks will probably never be around, that is, unless apple lets the third party use the mag-safe technology, and, heres a funny thought: if you were to use a dock on the MBP, the whole mag-safe connector becomes a waste o technology... maybe no dock was smart on apple's part...

because apple is the only maker of the mag-safe connector, 3rd party docks will probably never be around, that is, unless apple lets the third party use the mag-safe technology, and, heres a funny thought: if you were to use a dock on the MBP, the whole mag-safe connector becomes a waste o technology... maybe no dock was smart on apple's part...

Some one just has to be innovative. It wouldn't be bad to plug in a universal dock and the magsafe adapter.

I found this thread searching. I'm thinking about getting a dock for my macbook as I' have a lot plugged in when I'm home (wireless Keyboard/Mouse adaptor, Presonus firebox, mybook external HD, speakers). Was wondering if the bookendz docks worked well. They seem to have one for the Macbook.

I found this thread searching. I'm thinking about getting a dock for my macbook as I' have a lot plugged in when I'm home (wireless Keyboard/Mouse adaptor, Presonus firebox, mybook external HD, speakers). Was wondering if the bookendz docks worked well. They seem to have one for the Macbook.

pretty cool, not cheap. Never seen it before.