jl24

What to do with an old Powerbook 867mhz

Recently purchased a Macbook and as I'm a student I'm looking to get some money as quickly as possible for my old Powerbook. Panic sets in...i've lost my original restore cd's so I can't clean the hard drive and restore the original software. So...unless anyone knows where I can get these cd's from (which is unlikely) has anyone got any ideas for what to do with an old Powerbook?

How about using the OSX disk that came with your macbook.

The discs that came with the MacBook are the Intel build of OS X, I doubt you could even boot the PowerBook to them far enough to get Disk Utility to format it.

Is there anything for the Mac similar to that PC app that you can burn to CD, then reboot and zero the drive? Or did nobody bother since we're all supposed to have Disk Utility on our restore CDs?

As for ideas of what to do with it, I've been having the same conundrum for months with my 867 TiBook. I tried to sell it to a reseller, but they won't take it because of the hinge paint flaking and that the original power brick died. eBay is such a pain. I did want to pick up a low end G3 or G4 tower to retrofit into a Mac print/file server. I'm thinking about just doing that with the PowerBook, since it's already a faster machine than what I would have bought for this purpose. It's just going to cost more due to needing to use external drives. So, I dunno.

i had the same problem. i brought it into an apple store and they reset it for me with their disks. it took about 10 minutes and i was out.

i had the same problem. i brought it into an apple store and they reset it for me with their disks. it took about 10 minutes and i was out.

So after that did you just have a blank HD or a HD with a fresh new copy of OS X on?

So after that did you just have a blank HD or a HD with a fresh new copy of OS X on?

it is a brand new version