dusanyu

a fewe MacBook questions

I am going back to univeristy this fall and that means new Laptop!

i know i whant eather a MacBook or a MacBookPro but i have a few questions for the MacBook(Pro) owners.

1. I have read alot of bad things about the MacBookPro reguarding heat and batery problems, however, most of the reports are form early adopters. for those who may have bought a MacBook Pro recently are you experanceing the ishues of Burn your hands hot MacBookPro and batery expantion? for the early adopters are these reports exagerated?

2. Batery life. in your experance how is the batery life on you MacBook or MacBookPro could it last long genugh for say note takeing for 2 lecture courses at 2 howers long each?

3. MacBook "Chicklet" keyboard can you decrobe the "feel" of this keyboard and would it get annoying for typing a major report on? or typeing quickly to keep up with a wordy professor? (i will admit memorys of the PC jr keyboard are in my head)

4. how is the Macbook as far as heat? and is the Case problems (dscoloration and pealing) overbloan?

5. to all in your humble oppinion wich isbetter for the student MacBook or MacBookPro?

Thanks Much Chad

There are problems with both machines, as any computer may have. Most problems can be fixed, while others (like heat) are not a problem at all, just an inconvenience and a symptom of fast processors. If you get discoloration, you will get your Macbook repaired. you will hear more problems about the macbook pro because it has been out longer. Most "defects" are actually restricted to certain batches, and you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

for battery life, expect about 4 hours, although you may get more, you usuaally want to count a bit less because it can change because of the work yo do, and how much you use it in each lecture. I would also recommend an extra battery.

I would recommend the macbook if you are not doing heavy work that requires graphics, and portability (which is nice when runnning from class to class ). If you need a radeon and a big screen, (and have the budget for it) then you can get the mbp.

Edited by applgeek

I havn't heard anything about discoloration and peeling on the MacBooks. Can someone explain this to me?

I get about 3.5 hours on my battery, but that's running near full brightness and sound, and maybe a few applications. If you want note-taking, then you should be able to squeeze four or more hours out of the battery. Just run on the LOWEST comfortable brightness setting. Even on the lowest setting with the light still on, it is still plenty bright enought to see.

As for the keyboard, I don't use it much, at least not yet. I bought an extra Apple Keyboard cuz I knew it would be easier to type on. The built in keyboard is not bad. It's actually pratty awesome. It just takes some getting used to, like ALL laptop keyboards. I'm sure typing long papers on it would not be a big deal once you are used to it.

I plan on using my external keyboard in my dorm and at home (like now). However, if and when I take my MacBook to class and other places I'll just leave my keyboard and Mighty Mouse behind and use the built-in one and the trackpad.

I suggest at least buying a mouse to use in your dorm or wherever you are staying. Using the trackpad I think can get annoying. Mouses are much smoother. I got a wired Mighty Mouse and I love it. But you can get some cheeper mouse from like Best Buy that works just as good.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think the severe overheating on the MBPs was due to inaccurate lubricating of some wires or something of that nature. Apple actually told the Apple maintenance guys the wrong info on how to lubricate it right, so they either did not use enough or put it on the wrong part. But I think Apple fixed that problem now. I think if you bought either now you should have no problem about them overheating. My MacBook gets pretty hot (seen it up to like 96 degrees), but I am pretty sure that is normal. Nothing has gone wrong. It just kinda warm when it sits in your lap. No biggie.

Definitely go with the MacBook if you are not gonna be doing hardcore video/graphics stuff. Besides, they are cheaper and look cooler. Black and white beat silver any day. The 13" size is perfect. 15" is not as portable and convenient.

i was in the same situation as you, except i recieved both the white 2 GHz MB, and the 17" MBP for graduation. i decided to keep the MB because it was more portable and i could max out everything with the money from the MBP.

having used both the computers for a week i will answer your questions based on my experience.

1. the MBP got hot but not hot enough to where you couldnt use it or anything like that. they recommend that you DO NOT place it on a pillow/blanket/ clothes etc. for long periods of time because that, of course, will make the heating that much more of an issue. The MB is significantly cooler unless you leave it plugged in and use it for a long time (over a few hours) with all settings on high (brightness and usability). My solution for this was a $20 cooling pad that plugs into my USB and I leave sitting on the desk.

2. i can get probably 5 hours out of mine... but i will test this and get back to you (i would like to know too because i will have 5 hours of class back to back)

3. i absolutely love the keyboard. i have a powerbook G4 also and i love the MB keyboard. the "chicklet" keys orevent typing errors and makes typing to keep up with a professor that much better.

4. the discoloration was only for macbooks that were made during certain weeks and Apple has now fixed that problem as far as i have heard. i use mine everyday and you couldnt tell the difference between this and one straight from the box.

5. if you are a student that is looking for portability and amazing power and performance then do the MB. remember the pro is exactly that... a PRO. you cant go wrong with a MBP but the questiong is do you need it?

but apple care also... but thats a given.

Thanks for the information so far

I beleve it would help if i decribed how i was useing the Laptop.

My Background Is i have used Linux dence 1998 was verry much anti-mac (sory guys but atleast i was not pro windows!) untill the time that MacOS 10.3 came around (Wow sexy desktop with BASH!) oggled a bit eventuly bopught a G4 Poermac 12" and a G4 PowerMac (both used) and loved them for about a year. untill they died. Built a AMD 64 box installed ubuntu and it was good. and became invalved with writing code on a fewe opensource projects. Upon dicovering i was accepted back into University the thought "i better get a mac becuse I will unfourtunitly need Monopolysoft Turd" after doing the reasurch at the Ushulal suspects I came to the MacCast for help (and as ushuly the MacCast audiance has not dissapointed me)

My Major is software engnerring as such the laptop will see ocasional heavy loads while compileing software, and running paralells to boot Linux (to continue my OSS work) or Windows 2k. (I may be a Linux and Mac Biggot but i am not going to cut myself off from devlopment experance on the Monolpaly platform.) While I did show consern about typeing on the laptop in the Dorm i have a Nice 20" iMac (mactell) and i am useing a peice of software from Unix Land called unison to keep the files in sync. (note Unison is a UNIX app and requires X11 and feals rather "hackish" for the ushual Mac User who demands for UI beauty er beyond that of the 'ol UNIX Geek

For info on the Macbook Discolouration and flakeing visit this site

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2802

or this one wich is rather hard on apple's stance on the ishue http://www.appledefects.com/?p=15

appledefects.com is a rather scarry site read with your own horror!

Edited by dusanyu

___________________________________________________________________________________________I think the severe overheating on the MBPs was due to inaccurate lubricating of some wires or something of that nature. Apple actually told the Apple maintenance guys the wrong info on how to lubricate it right, so they either did not use enough or put it on the wrong part. But I think Apple fixed that problem now. I think if you bought either now you should have no problem about them overheating. My MacBook gets pretty hot (seen it up to like 96 degrees), but I am pretty sure that is normal. Nothing has gone wrong. It just kinda warm when it sits in your lap. No biggie.

I believe it was cooling gel that was applied incorrectly, not lubrication. I doubt it would need lubrication if they it has no moving parts apart form the Hard and Disk Drive. Unless you want to make it easier for electrons! :P

I believe it was cooling gel that was applied incorrectly, not lubrication. I doubt it would need lubrication if they it has no moving parts apart form the Hard and Disk Drive. Unless you want to make it easier for electrons! :P

the Overheating was due to Over application of termal compuund. in an attempt to useit to dampen fan noise. (apple always whats to sell quight computers) while it DID reduse noide the compound became an isnsolator. users who rebuilt the cooling systems of there MacBookPros with Lower amnts of High quality compound of the type used my PC overclockers found a reduction on temprature of 10 degrees.

5. to all in your humble oppinion wich isbetter for the student MacBook or MacBookPro?

Big Question: What can you afford? If you're trying to save as many dollars as possible, you only have one choice. If you have the money, the MBP will last longer before it goes obsolete, making the few extra $100s worth it. Unless you need cutting edge, the MBP should comfortably last all 4 years.

Big Question: What can you afford? If you're trying to save as many dollars as possible, you only have one choice. If you have the money, the MBP will last longer before it goes obsolete, making the few extra $100s worth it. Unless you need cutting edge, the MBP should comfortably last all 4 years.

im not so sure the MBP will last longer. i think it will have more problems because of the screen touching the keyboard (just like my powerbook) and they are talking about quad core for the MBP soon (rumor but doable) either machine is screaming fast but the MBP truly great.

The MacBook is a great machine as well. It only lacks in the graphics department. I'm not planning on doing any hardcore gaming on my Mac (if you are you should have prolly went with a Windows machine anyway), so the MacBook was a better choice for me. The MBP will last longer? That sounds kinda stupid to me. Just because of that graphcis card? If anything, I think of the MacBook as being more advanced. It has the magnetic latch, which is pretty awesome. It also has the sleek new keyboard which is definitly better.

If you max out everything on the MacBook, which you can do easily with the extra money you would have forked out for the Pro, then your MacBook will last longer than a MacBook Pro that is not maxed out.

The MacBook is a great machine as well. It only lacks in the graphics department. I'm not planning on doing any hardcore gaming on my Mac (if you are you should have prolly went with a Windows machine anyway), so the MacBook was a better choice for me. The MBP will last longer? That sounds kinda stupid to me. Just because of that graphcis card? If anything, I think of the MacBook as being more advanced. It has the magnetic latch, which is pretty awesome. It also has the sleek new keyboard which is definitly better.

If you max out everything on the MacBook, which you can do easily with the extra money you would have forked out for the Pro, then your MacBook will last longer than a MacBook Pro that is not maxed out.

agreed, that is what i did... i got the 2GHz macbook and the 17" MBP as gifts for graduation and i brought the MBP back and maxed out my MB.

agreed, that is what i did... i got the 2GHz macbook and the 17" MBP as gifts for graduation and i brought the MBP back and maxed out my MB.

Well hellz yeah why wouldn't you? I mean big deal, you got the better graphics card and the light up keyboard. The MacBook is pretty much a better value no matter how you look at it. Before I bought my MacBook I researced both for countless hours, along with Mac desktops as well, and that's the conclusion I came to. You'd really have to have a need for high end graphics in order to justify a MBP purchase.

I think the 13" screen is perfect for a notebook. I think if I wanted a bigger screen I would rather just get like a 20" iMac or something. It'd cost less too.

Well hellz yeah why wouldn't you? I mean big deal, you got the better graphics card and the light up keyboard. The MacBook is pretty much a better value no matter how you look at it. Before I bought my MacBook I researced both for countless hours, along with Mac desktops as well, and that's the conclusion I came to. You'd really have to have a need for high end graphics in order to justify a MBP purchase.

I think the 13" screen is perfect for a notebook. I think if I wanted a bigger screen I would rather just get like a 20" iMac or something. It'd cost less too.

I think i am going pro my justification i am dule booting with linux and a graphics card that is suported by x.org is a good thing :)