windowsguy

Port Forwarding

I have WAMP installed on my home computer. If you haven't heard of it, it's basically just a web server with PHP/MySQL support running Apache. Since Macs come with Apache, I figured someone here would know about this.

I'm trying to set it up to be a home server, but to do that, I need to forward port 1024 from my public IP address to the internal one, 192.168.0.4. I've set up my router to do it, but does anyone know how to set up Apache to listen for requests on [public IP]:1024?

Edited by windowsguy

i would suspect it is in the CONF file for apache you are better having a google and look at the apache website. it should be simple enough to go straight to what you want

jack

I don't know what OS your running apache on but for example I'm running FC4 and all you have to do is change the listen port in the "httpd.conf" then restart apache.

Hope that helps!!

I've tried that, and it still doesn't work... just to clarify my situation, my computer is on a wireless network, behind a router, in case you didn't assume that.

And I'm running on Windows - that's what "W" in WAMP stands for.

Edit: Here's the Listen part of my httpd.conf:

Listen 80
Listen 8000
Listen 9090

8000 and 9090 are both used on my internal network for web sites. Should I just add

Listen 1024

and it will work?

Edited by windowsguy

This maybe silly coz I'm not very good on PCs but on a mac you'd have to open the port in the built in firewall as well as amending the file.

If you have windows and a are using a software firewall or windows built in firewall, your PC wont be very usable.

--but yes you will you would need to forward, and or open the port to traffic

jack

Okay, this is still not working, which is weird. Here are my settings:

Windows Firewall (my only firewall): Allowing port 1024 as an exception

WAMP Conf. file (httpd.conf): Listen 1024

Router config: Forwarding port 1024 to 192.168.0.4 (my internal IP address)

Yet when I go to 71.218.99.233:1024, it still doesn't work...

I then tried to set up a virtual host on port 1024.

NameVirtualHost *:1024

<VirtualHost *:1024>
ServerAdmin jefftheman45@gmail.com
ServerName localhost:1024
DocumentRoot c:/wamp/www
</VirtualHost>

Now, localhost:1024 works fine on my network, but it still won't publicly load...

Another silly question, are trying to go to that address from inside your firewall? Coz I can get to it fine. You'd have to set up DNS for it to work from inside the firewall.

I get this

JTS Home

Introduction

This is the homepage of my personal web server, JTS. It has awesome things that I make. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to get Port Forwarding to make it publicly viewable. I may eventually figure it out, though.

Is that correct?

Ric

i have run a server using windows xp pro and the port that i forwarded to the servers local was port 80 and it worked well until the computers power parts blew up.

i have run a server using windows xp pro and the port that i forwarded to the servers local was port 80 and it worked well until the computers power parts blew up.

Lol, I would imagine...

And RMStudio, that is AWESOME. Thanks for actually checking... I'm gonna go get a .ath.cx domain right now.

Thanks to all who helped!!