shooter2jim

Macbook battery/charging question

2 weeks ago I bought a new Macbook 2.0ghz. Initially, battery life seemed to be excellent, especially installing all the software (3+ hrs.). Without doing any real "scientific" testing, I think that recently battery life has dwindled to being roughly equivalent to my 15" PBG4 1.67 (both laptops set to "normal" performance) , and the charging time seems excessively long. I purchased an extra charger with my MB, the larger one for the MBPro, but both chargers seem to take the same amount of time to charge the MB battery. I have tried to recalibrate the MB battery, but I may not have done it exactly according to instructions, due to the length of time required.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or heard any rumors relating to this. Are there any apps specifically designed to test battery performance?

Thanks,

Jim

I did indeed notice a dwindling of battery life after the first week or so with my macbook pro. I had around 4hrs when I first got it and after a short time it went [and seems to have stayed] to around 3hrs or a little over. I always thought though that the time to recharge the battery was pretty fast.

I think I have a dud too. Mine won't even charge if its plugged in and I'm using it in some situations. No where near as good as my PB.

2 weeks ago I bought a new Macbook 2.0ghz. Initially, battery life seemed to be excellent, especially installing all the software (3+ hrs.). Without doing any real "scientific" testing, I think that recently battery life has dwindled to being roughly equivalent to my 15" PBG4 1.67 (both laptops set to "normal" performance) , and the charging time seems excessively long. I purchased an extra charger with my MB, the larger one for the MBPro, but both chargers seem to take the same amount of time to charge the MB battery. I have tried to recalibrate the MB battery, but I may not have done it exactly according to instructions, due to the length of time required.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or heard any rumors relating to this. Are there any apps specifically designed to test battery performance?

Thanks,

Jim

I don't ever recall any of the 3 PowerBooks I've had taking longer than about 2 hours or so to completely recharge the battery. I haven't timed it but it seems as if the new MB takes 2x as long. Could these be part of the bad batteries going around these days?

Jim

I've gotta say my macbook charges quite fast, actually. I've been pretty impressed with battery life to this point as well.

My only suggestion would be to take the time, and do the battery calibration according to the instructions. Since it's been a while (or not at all) since it's been done properly, perhaps more than one calibration would be in order? I do mine roughly once a month.

The new batteries are lithium polymer,not ion, so it could affect performance in the chemical change.

I've never really noticed any degradation of battery life on my Macbook, but I'm never that far from a power outlet however I have noticed that sometimes if the battery is not quite full it won't charge.

My work around is to use the computer on battery for a little and then plug it back in to the mains at which point it then charges up fully.

I've gotta say my macbook charges quite fast, actually. I've been pretty impressed with battery life to this point as well.

My only suggestion would be to take the time, and do the battery calibration according to the instructions. Since it's been a while (or not at all) since it's been done properly, perhaps more than one calibration would be in order? I do mine roughly once a month.

Just out of curiosity, before you recharge, do you use the power button to power down when the computer goes to sleep, or do you let it sit and sleep for a few hours until it completely dies?

I reset the PMU last night and let it sit fully-charged, powered down overnight. This morning, I put a DVD in and came back about 2.5 hours later and the end-of-disc dvd menu was showing. I restarted the DVD, left, and came back later to a sleeping Macbook. I then went away again for a few hours and came home to a powered-down MB, so I know I'm getting 2.5+ hours of DVD viewing, but I didn't check the battery percentage. I plugged in for the recharge a few minutes ago, so we'll see what happens. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

jim

My MB battery charges fast and lasts long, I think. I mostly run off the power adapter. I have calibrated it twice since I got it.

When I DO use my battery, I try to use it starting at full power, and then not charge it again until it is nearly dead.

Maybe if your battery really sucks you can call Apple and have them replace it.

My MB battery charges fast and lasts long, I think. I mostly run off the power adapter. I have calibrated it twice since I got it.

When I DO use my battery, I try to use it starting at full power, and then not charge it again until it is nearly dead.

Maybe if your battery really sucks you can call Apple and have them replace it.

After 4 hours, the charger still showed orange. I booted the MB and the battery icon said 99%. I rebooted, the icon went to 100% and the charger turned green. I reset the PMU again, and we'll see what happens. It's used 10% in about 20min of net surfing with battery life set to "normal" and the screen set to mid-brightness.

Jim

A lot of times when I am using my MacBook and charging it at the same time, it will never charge to "100%." It goes to like 97% or 99%, but it is still probably full. I don't know why it doesn't just say 100%. But usually when it is sleeping or off, it charges to 100%.

I've never actually checked how long it takes to charge while sleeping or off. I usually do that while I am sleeping. I wake up in the morning or get back from work and it is fully charged.

A lot of times when I am using my MacBook and charging it at the same time, it will never charge to "100%." It goes to like 97% or 99%, but it is still probably full. I don't know why it doesn't just say 100%. But usually when it is sleeping or off, it charges to 100%.

I've never actually checked how long it takes to charge while sleeping or off. I usually do that while I am sleeping. I wake up in the morning or get back from work and it is fully charged.

OK, I think I'm going to have it checked. My girlfriend has been surfing on the Powerbook G4 1.67 for about 3 hours and it's showing 40% remaining. The best I've been able to get on the MacBook is roughly 2.75-3 on a full charge and it's taking over 3 hours to charge the battery from 0%.

Does anyone know the approx. claimed charging time on a MacBook? And isn't Apple claiming around 5 hours on a charge?

Jim

OK, I think I'm going to have it checked. My girlfriend has been surfing on the Powerbook G4 1.67 for about 3 hours and it's showing 40% remaining. The best I've been able to get on the MacBook is roughly 2.75-3 on a full charge and it's taking over 3 hours to charge the battery from 0%.

Does anyone know the approx. claimed charging time on a MacBook? And isn't Apple claiming around 5 hours on a charge?

Jim

Yeah I KNOW that MacBook should be getting better battery life than a PowerBook. I think they said you should get about 4 hours from it (give or take)

Battery and power

-55-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery with integrated charge indicator LEDs

-60W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system

Yeah I KNOW that MacBook should be getting better battery life than a PowerBook. I think they said you should get about 4 hours from it (give or take)

Geez.... I just did the firmware update and now the fan(s) are running full-time. That'll definitely help battery life.....NOT. It's a little cooler on the lap, though, but very annoying. :) C'mon Apple, get it together!

Jim

Hey Shado,

I saw your post on the firmware update. Any way to undo it? I'd rather deal with a little extra heat than a lot of extra noise.

Jim

Geez.... I just did the firmware update and now the fan(s) are running full-time. That'll definitely help battery life.....NOT. It's a little cooler on the lap, though, but very annoying. :) C'mon Apple, get it together!

Jim

Hey Shado,

I saw your post on the firmware update. Any way to undo it? I'd rather deal with a little extra heat than a lot of extra noise.

Jim

There is no way to undo it that I know of. You'd need a new MacBook to go back. Even then, I don't know if Apple is putting this FirmWare update into new MacBooks yet.

If enough people complain, Apple could make a new "update" that would take you back to the old FirmWare.

I really don't think the noise is that bad.

There is no way to undo it that I know of. You'd need a new MacBook to go back. Even then, I don't know if Apple is putting this FirmWare update into new MacBooks yet.

If enough people complain, Apple could make a new "update" that would take you back to the old FirmWare.

I really don't think the noise is that bad.

It sounds like my fan(s) are running full speed. There's no way I would be able to use the internal mic if I wanted to record any audio at all. The previous firmware didn't spin my fan this hard unless the chip got really hot. Last night, the fan settled down after about 45 min.!

The girlfriend is going out of town this week and taking this thing with her so we can hopefully iChat. When she returns, Apple WILL be getting this one back. I was in the Apple store in Nashville today and none of the MB's were fanning themselves even remotely close to what this one is doing. Granted, they were probably transferring heat to the table tops somewhat.. but still.

Jim