wizbang

AppleCare Protection Plan

I am completely jacked about getting my first mac! I am wondering if AppleCare is worth it? I have very good pc experience and would be considered geeky by all acounts when it comes to repairs, upgrades etc. I would never by any sort of extended warranty if buying a new pc. I think I have different feelings with AppleCare though. I seem to think it might be worth it. Is the additional $169 for the plan on a 20 inch iMac worth it?

Would love to hear AppleCare plus/minus opinions and experiences.

Definitely worth it. I always spend the extra, and have used it.

Althernatively, check out your insurance policy because that can cover breakages for some people (or so I have heard)

ive insured it with my college. so if it is stolen/broken it is covered

Yes. AppleCare is not in the same league as your average PC extended warranty.

I bought it and I intend to use it.

Great thanks so far everyone! Sounds like we have a definite yes.

So, beyond just the extended warranty aspects, what are everyone elses experiences and noticed benefits?

I think I would be able to go to the local Apple Store and get schedule one on one training. Is that true? I figure this might be rather useful as a switcher.

yes, they hold scheduled classes on different programs/the system throughout the day. i have never done one of the classes but i always see aa ton of people there so there must be something to it.

AppleCare has a number of benefits including (but not exclusive to):

3 Years of covered repairs for parts and labour

May sound silly but you don't want to try and get hold of more than RAM and HDDs yourself regardless of experience. You also don't want to try and take one apart (voids warranty, you probably won't figure out how and it's not that easy like PCs). Parts and labour for 3 years for anything small or large from either Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

3 Years of telephone support

Telephone support for Macs, Mac OS and a large number of Mac applications extended from 90 days to 3 years. Install, launch, use or troubleshoot, large or small, it's handy for anyone new or experienced with Macs.

Diagnostics disk

TechTool Deluxe from Micromat will help you diagnose, troubleshoot and even fix issues without even calling Apple. That's worth the money all by itself.

Diagnostics disk

TechTool Deluxe from Micromat will help you diagnose, troubleshoot and even fix issues without even calling Apple. That's worth the money all by itself.

If you get a version shipped with your OS that actually works with it. Remember the one that was originally shipped with Tiger? It would trash the disks. :blink::lol:

Knowing that Macs are a bit more closed than PCs (of which I quite comfortable putting together and upgrading myself) I bought AppleCare with each of my Macs. I never needed it with my G4 PowerMac in the 2 years before I sold it. I did need it with my (purchased used but still under AppleCare) G5 PowerMac. The logic board had some problems with any more than 1GB of RAM installed. After some hurdles that required me to do some tests to prove my memory was not bad, Apple replaced the logic board and I've had no problems with my G5 since. Without AppleCare... I'd be well up the proverbial river without the proverbial paddle.

I personally use the store insurance plan. It covers screen braking while applecare doesn't. It's less expansive too. College or firm can do that too sometimes. Good luck.