MacFanatic05

How long does it take Apple Online to make a Build to Order machine?

hi everyone,

this is my first experience with apple online. I just placed an order for a white 1.83GHz macbook build to order with an 80GB hdd. I know it takes less than 20 mins to swap that stock 60 with an 80, but however, the order status page gave me the worst case scenario: 3 days.

Just from your experiences on the apple online store, do they really take 3 days to swap out one component? the reason I ask is I start college on the 28th and I would really love to have my macbook with me when I begin...and not to mention my birthday is on the 26th and it was supposed to be a gift for me from my parents..

I'm hoping that it will not take 3 days to customize and 5 days to arrive...

P.S. do all apple online orders originate from CA or do they do it like amazon.com where distribution centers are allover the US? I'm ~3000 miles away here in Northern VA... :mellow: ...it would suck if it did take 5 days to get here..

you will be fine, they do it as a safety thing so they dont get bitched at if they say they will have it done in 2 days but it doesnt ship until the 4th... they have always been very fast with my orders

Your order completely changed when you upgraded your hard drive from the "standard" prebuilt MacBooks. They don't simply grab a MacBook that's already been made and swap out the hard drive with a bigger one, they actually submit your order to the factory to be built with the changes you provided. This is why there is a bigger time delay.

Also when I've special ordered things like my PowerBook, laser-engraved iPod, etc they are drop shipped directly from the factory, in the iPod's case it was FedEx'd from Shanghai, China.

roog

Edited by roogie

Your order completely changed when you upgraded your hard drive from the "standard" prebuilt MacBooks. They don't simply grab a MacBook that's already been made and swap out the hard drive with a bigger one, they actually submit your order to the factory to be built with the changes you provided. This is why there is a bigger time delay.

Also when I've special ordered things like my PowerBook, laser-engraved iPod, etc they are drop shipped directly from the factory, in the iPod's case it was FedEx'd from Shanghai, China.

roog

but you get your MB from the same place no matter what you order/upgrade, right? It would only take me 10 minutes max to put in a different harddrive and its got to take them much less than that since they are already prepared for it. when i was getting my MB i bought it from the apple store and i wanted to upgrade the memory since it was cheaper to do it when you buy it. they told me that was only for the online store so i told them that they could just order the memory and let me know when it came in. they called me the next day and i upgraded my memory that quick right in the store.

but you get your MB from the same place no matter what you order/upgrade, right? It would only take me 10 minutes max to put in a different harddrive and its got to take them much less than that since they are already prepared for it. when i was getting my MB i bought it from the apple store and i wanted to upgrade the memory since it was cheaper to do it when you buy it. they told me that was only for the online store so i told them that they could just order the memory and let me know when it came in. they called me the next day and i upgraded my memory that quick right in the store.

Sure, but any MacBook you buy from an Apple Store is a pre-made model, then you just added the memory after you bought it. By using the Build To Order option, you're forcing Apple to actually make your MacBook specifically with the options you want from scratch. They don't just take a pre-made MacBook, pull out the hard drive and then pop in a bigger one, or yank out the 512mb of memory and put in 1gig. Even though it's an easy change now, they are still building it from scratch. My local Apple Store will not just change out parts, they refer you to the online Apple Store.

For those BTO options that are not easy (like the 80gb 5400rpm drive and 128mb VRAM video card in my Aluminum PowerBook) I have Apple do those, which of course made it take longer to get to me because they had to make it that way. I put in memory afterwards from a 3rd party vendor, because Apple charges out the wazoo for those easy upgrades and they can easily be done by the consumer.

roog

but from what i have heard is that the hard drive on the macbook is just as easy as the memory to put in. i havent actually tried but my friend did and he said it was extremely simple

When I ordered my MacBook back in April with a couple changes to the standard they surpassed my expectations on delivery. I think they play it conservative on the delivery dates. Once it was in the air from China the delivery schedule was right on. Look for that on the order status. VG

I had that except I had an extra two weeks. I just canceled the order and baught it from trusted retail store.

I had that except I had an extra two weeks. I just canceled the order and bought it from trusted retail store.
I'd do the same except being a college student, I'm getting a free nano. Not to mention it's already shipped (along with my notebook case/backpack...)

I'd do the same except being a college student, I'm getting a free nano. Not to mention it's already shipped (along with my notebook case/backpack...)

you get the free nano and printer if you buy it in the store also

but from what i have heard is that the hard drive on the macbook is just as easy as the memory to put in. i havent actually tried but my friend did and he said it was extremely simple

I love the new MacBooks, they do have a much improved hard drive replacement process compared to any iBook or PowerBook. I only wish they didn't have the Intel integrated graphics chipsets.

roog

haha if i knew i was getting a new MB i could run that easy
lol, i dont think running 30 miles with an apple store bag containing a notebook is very smart...technically and in terms of personal safety...

When I bought my PowerBook BTO it was built and received within 4 days!! :D

If I tried to run 30 miles at least when I got to the hospital I could use the MacBook while I was there. hehe

roog

alright, it looks like it'll be ready come monday...hopefully, apple is referring to business day in china, since they're a day ahead, which would mean it'll be ready to ship on sunday here in the states.

anyone know how long it will take for apple/fedex/ups to ship to the east coast? i highly doubt 5 days via this "ground shipping".

Edited by MacFanatic05

you should be fine... just hope they dont bang it around shipping

If it's coming from China it should be next dayed, International stuff for FedEx is usually anyway because there is no cost advantage to drumming it down to a couple days.

roog

ugh....its past the estimated ship date. so i popped an email over to apple support and I got this back:

Thank you for contacting Apple

...(removed portion)...

With regards to your MacBook, it is currently pending dispatch and we expect it to be dispatched shortly. When your order is dispatched, Apple will send a notification to (my email).

To check the status of your order, please visit <http://www.apple.com/orderstatus>.

Sincerely,

Apple Store Customer Support

About 5 hours later, I recieved this computer generated notification:
We appreciate your recent purchase through the online Apple Store.

The following is an update regarding the status of your order

(ORDER NUMBER).

Due to an unexpected delay, we were unable to ship your product(s) by

the date originally quoted to you. We now anticipate shipping the

following item(s) as follows:

Z0D4, MB 13/1.83 CTO WHITE

will now ship by Aug 29, 2006

and deliver by Sep 06, 2006

We regret any inconvenience this delay may cause.

What should I assume? The person saying it should be ready to go out the door or the auto-generated one telling me to wait 1.5 more weeks. If the customer support rep is right, I wouldn't want to cancel a nice custom configured Macbook for a stock one, but if the new "estimate" is right, I might as well cancel it and get a stock one...

I always go with the worst case scenario, that way if it comes earlier I'd be surprised. I wouldn't trust any email from a Customer Service rep, they are usually going to say what you want to hear.

roog

Things just got more interesting...

I e-mailed support again to ask if they can change my custom macbook to a standard stock one while keeping the order number the same (I need it this way cause for college students, the free nano and mac have to be under the same order). Here's the reply I got:

Dear (NAME),

Thank you for contacting Apple.

Your request was received after your order was already in process for shipping. At this time, Apple is unable to change or cancel your MacBook order. We apologize for any inconvenience.

When your order ships, Apple will send a notification to (EMAIL).

To check the status of your order, please visit <http://www.apple.com/orderstatus>.

Sincerely,

Apple Store Customer Support

Would this be a good sign? If it's "already in process for shipping," how much longer can it take?

In all fairness, why keep trying to second-guess Apple? If you try to change the order now (and keep the same order number!) you are asing for confusion! Why not just be patient? Your purchase will be well worth waiting for.

In all fairness, why keep trying to second-guess Apple? If you try to change the order now (and keep the same order number!) you are asing for confusion! Why not just be patient? Your purchase will be well worth waiting for.
because apple online is the worst company I've ever have to deal with. Sure, most companies have an escape clause for shipping estimates just so they don't get sued if something goes horribly wrong, but you know what? Apple is the first company I've experience that actually abuses this. Look, the only reason why I'm in a hurry to get this Macbook is i'm heading off to college this weekend, but from the looks of it, it seems that my parents will have to reship it to my dorm. Next time, I'll just buy the stock one at Apple Retail, switch the parts myself for cheap using 3rd party components, and sell the Apple parts on ebay to make up the difference.

And a final note: If you don't have anything to say to further a discussion, don't say anything at all. This is a forum, not a blog of rants.

EDIT: From the looks of it, JohnT is nothing more than an Apple Fanboy that turns a blind eye when apple does something wrong:

"If people must run Windows progs why not get a PC - they're cheap and nasty enough!!" Ever been to college? Most collegiate engineering and mathematics departments requires the use of software that's only designed for Windows. e.g. AutoCAD, Minitab. That's one reason why people must use Windows; because we have to for a few programs.

(Regarding the Mighty Mouse) "I've used one for over 6 months now...It's easy and foolproof if it's used properly - take the left finger off before you right click!" Look, i'm not going to modify my own computing behaviors just to workaround a design flaw Apple made. If they used two sensors instead of one, the mighty mouse wouldn't have problems determining what "button" I'm clicking.

Edited by MacFanatic05

you are just ranting yourself about how you didnt plan ahead far enough. i too am going to college in a week... but i bought mine after graduation. and for being a "macfanatic" you sure do slam apple a lot. you cant just go changing your order and expect to get the same order number and delivery time as before (by the way apple was given the award for the best customer service). maybe try talking to a person instead of an email, being more personable is always better.