themole

remote desktop at work

My boss has given me the following request:

"I will soon be updating the network and installing the new computers.

For security reasons anyone using the Network will have to open up their computer for me to be able to "see".

In "System Preferences" you will have to go into "Sharing" then "Services"

Tick "Apple Remote Desktop" then "Access Privileges"

I suggest Sending text messages and Observe. If you ever want me to help you with anything I can also Control.

Once that is complete You should open up a new port on the "Firewall" number 5900 both tcp and udt ports."

Ok, now I know he's not really interested in my private files but I feel that my computer won't feel very private anymore. If I did the above, would he have access to everyhting on my computer? Can he see everything that I do?

He has suggested that I set up a new user account. I think doing this is going to take time as I will need to transfer bookmarks, files, email accounts. Basically all my stuff that is work related.etc to that new account. (or is it simple?) I guess I would have to set all my user preferences as well.

All suggestions and advice are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

What I did on my work computer was create an encrypted disk image and move all of my private files in there. When I want to use it i mount the image and put in the password and when I am done I eject the disk image. I keep my email online, and my bookmarks to a minimum on my work computer. If I left today then they would have a few bookmarks and an encrypted disk image and that would be about it.

I think the concern here is less about the boss having access to his files, and more about the fact that the boss can now remotely look over their shoulder at any time without any way of knowing it's happening. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to defeat that if he is requiring the ARD server to be on. Is there a way to run OS X in a virtual machine? Maybe installing OSx86 into Parallels? You could enable the ARD server in the virtual machine, then do your personal stuff on the actual OS X desktop, and boss would be none the wiser. I may have to test that to see if it works, unless someone already knows why it wouldn't?

he can look over your shoulder whenever you have an internet connection. i would go with joshr's idea and use filevault (in system prefs) for your home folder. just keep stuff private in there, and keep it locked whenever you can (ie. have 2 user names, the one you have secured (just to put things in, never use) and one to use. you can always open the secured dmg with the pass. ALSO: avoid using same pass for everything. he can see key input!

Thanks for all your advice. This is more complicated than I thought! Would it not work though if I had two accounts, one for work with ARD switched on, and one personal with ARD switched off.

hello

I use ARD at all my clients offices to view servers mainly and individual macs if the need arises.

Creating a new account isn't going to stop him seeing that account. I have a sysadmin account set on all of the machines I look after. This has admin privileges. It means that even if e.g.. Edward had an account on his powerbook, and he created a new account for his girlfriend Sarah I can still view her desktop as well as his.

He should really send you a little package that you install onto your machine to set all of the relevant settings for ARD. This can be set to add a special admin user for viewing etc.

Have you ticked the box "Show when being observed"? This'll put some little binoculars in the menu bar of your mac. If he is looking at your desktop the binoculars will appear in a screen. This is also a menu item that allows you to communicate with him I think.

You should also know that with ARD he'll be able to run all sort's of reports on your mac, such as the time you've spent in each application!

joshr's idea is a great one. You could also use a USB stick or iPod to store all you're bits on.