Sign in to follow this  
eqqfooyoung

Computer will not boot with Ipod connected

I have a Windows PC and when I first bought my Ipod it worked just fine. About a month ago my computer would not boot with my ipod connected to the usb. However as soon as i disconnect the ipod it resumes booting. Anyone have any ideas?

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 and it has the exact same problem. It will boot with some other USB devices connected. They had a firmware upgrade at one point, but apparently it did not fix all situations like this.

I have a Windows PC and when I first bought my Ipod it worked just fine. About a month ago my computer would not boot with my ipod connected to the usb. However as soon as i disconnect the ipod it resumes booting. Anyone have any ideas?

Humm... I know some PC mobo can boot from external HD via USB connection. And since iPod is a HD maybe the system board is trying to boot from it. Check the CMOS/Bio setting and see if booting from USB device is enable.

dude, its a PC...

That is one reason why I, personally, do not use my iPod with my laptop any longer. It only gets mated with my Mac. :)

Humm... I know some PC mobo can boot from external HD via USB connection. And since iPod is a HD maybe the system board is trying to boot from it. Check the CMOS/Bio setting and see if booting from USB device is enable.

I already checked that before I posted this and I did not find anything. The wierd thing is the computer freezes before any hard drives are involved. It freezes before it even checks and counts the memory in my computer. I double checked my bios settings again and before I saved and exited I plugged my ipod in and I can't even browse the bios as soon as the ipod is connected. Thank you for the idea tho.

I see... so your system still haven't pass post test and freeze. weird.