notmyspam32

iMac G5 Superdrive eject problem

I'm at a loss. :blink:

I have a 2 GHz PPC iMac G5 with 1GB of RAM and the Apple shipped SuperDrive (Matshita UJ-845; firmware revision DBN9). I'm running OS X 10.4.7 (8J135).

I just burned a PPC Ubuntu ISO using Disk Utility to a CD-R and got a successful burn message. However, even though the After Burning "Eject Disk" option was selected, Disk Utility did not eject the CD when it was finished.

Now, my iMac doesn't recognize a CD is loaded. Not with Finder, Disk Utility, nor command-line diskutil. The normal keyboard eject button won't eject the CD, nor will rebooting with mouse button depressed. Since Disk Utility doesn't recognize a disk is loaded, so it has no eject option available. There is no hardware eject button I can find (other than the one on the keyboard).

I've looked at both http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58566 and http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58465 and don't see a relevant solution.

I've booted to Open Freeware and tried the "eject cd" multiple times. I also reset NVRAM. I only got "ok" response to both of these.

When I reboot, there is a noise from the drive as if it's trying to recalibrate, so it at least appears to sense there's a disk inserted. When booted to OF, the drive spins continuously until I reboot to Mac OS.

I've seen lots of similar threads, but not one quite like this. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Try sticking a paer clip in the side of the dive until you feel a small button. Ths will eject the disc.

have you tried wiping the Pram?

Try sticking a paer clip in the side of the dive until you feel a small button. Ths will eject the disc.

have you tried wiping the Pram?

Do the new iMacs have a CD eject paper clip hole? I've not seen one on any recent Macintosh system, nor have I seen these on CD drives at all.

roog

It looks like you have covered all the angles. If your G5 is still in warranty then I would suggest taking it to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. The only way to eject the CD now is to take the drive apart. It shouldn't take long will not require replacement parts so long as it hasn't damaged the drive in any way or the cable isn't the cause of the issue.

@roogie: You are right by the way; you only get "paper-clip-holes" in draw loading optical drives, not in slot loading because the button mechanically starts the draw ejection process.

have you tried, holding down the eject button on start up. I had a problem where the CD wouldnt eject, holding the eject button down fixed it for me.

jack

Yep. Even held my mouth tried holding my mouth a variety of ways. I also tried forcing it to boot from the CD in hopes that it would reject it and eject it.

I even left the computer turned off over night in hopes that it would forget that it didn't know it had a disk inserted and would eject it in the morning.

have you tried, holding down the eject button on start up. I had a problem where the CD wouldnt eject, holding the eject button down fixed it for me.

jack

reboot you mac and before the gray bootup screen press and hold down your mouse button

this should fix your problem.

I don't know if this will work with a wireless mouse...

nor will rebooting with mouse button depressed

Please read the post in full before giving advice.