groomsy57

Connecting to University's FTP

Alright, here is my problem. When I was using Windows, I was able to use a free ftp client, "WS_FTP" or even IE to log on to my ftp and switch files in and out. When I've tried to do this with my Mac, on Safari and Finder I cannot write to the ftp. Is their a setting that I should be looking at or something? I'm kind of stumped on this one. Thanks ahead,

Todd Grooms

Macbook Pro

1.83 GHz

OS X 10.4.7

you could try going to the GO menu in the Finder, click on connect to Server. Where it asks for server address type in ftp://"YourIPorFTPSiteAddress" and press connect. It should ask you for a user and password and you're away.

Otherwise, download Fetch or Transmit and use them.

Ric

I do this, but it won't let me write to my ftp. It only gives me read permissions.

Alright, I downloaded Fetch. I can read from the ftp, I can delete files off the ftp and I can also get files from the ftp. But when I try to upload to the ftp, I get this error: "Error writing file: Cannot exceed the user or group quota." I thought this may mean that I had no space left, but I deleted some files from the ftp and only tried to upload a 1kb text file. Any ideas?

Oh yeah: I then refresh the ftp and the file is there, but the size is 0kb and their is nothing in it.

Edited by groomsy57

Alright, I downloaded Fetch. I can read from the ftp, I can delete files off the ftp and I can also get files from the ftp. But when I try to upload to the ftp, I get this error: "Error writing file: Cannot exceed the user or group quota." I thought this may mean that I had no space left, but I deleted some files from the ftp and only tried to upload a 1kb text file. Any ideas?

Oh yeah: I then refresh the ftp and the file is there, but the size is 0kb and their is nothing in it.

Sounds like there is a problem with the way your account is configured. You should probably talk to your IT department.

Thanks for all your help guys. I contacted my school's IT department, and it turns out that they had temporarily disconnected my ftp server because they were upgrading the system. Everything works great, I got Fetch and it's a marvelous program. Thanks for all the help guys.