Shadofax

Notebook Batteries

So I definitely made this post this morning, but i guess I forgot to hit "Post New Topic" at the bottom. Lol, here we go again.

So Apple's website said that iBooks and PowerBooks use lithium ion batteries. But it said MacBooks and MacBook Pros have lithium polymer batteries because they explode less. Lol, anyway, I took out my battery and on the back it says "lithium ion" and has a "!" sign.

WTF

So why do I have a Li ion battery if I'm supposed to have a Li polymer?

Mac Man Pro just told me Apple is recalling notebook batteries. Does that inlude this battery? I am sending mine is for service NOW. I hope they do it for me while it's in Memphis.

I checked back for you and it happens not to be your battery, but mine :(

it's for powerbooks and iBooks

Mine falls in the range but when I enter the details on the Apple site it said it doesn't. I'm waiting for 8AM now so I can call Apple and replace my battery.

Mine falls in the range but when I enter the details on the Apple site it said it doesn't. I'm waiting for 8AM now so I can call Apple and replace my battery.

if it didn't go through, then you don't have to get it replaced. I called apple up and they told me that and said my battery was fine, but I have yet to check on my iBook. I should probably check out my dad's work dell now I think about it...

Trust me, it needs replacing. I checked back a couple of hours later and it went through so perhaps I was just too quick for the database to update.

Trust me, it needs replacing. I checked back a couple of hours later and it went through so perhaps I was just too quick for the database to update.

on apples site it has the 12" ibook 12" powerbook and 15" powerbook batteries listed as being on recall... thats good for me i guess cause i've got a 14" ibook.... im keeping on watch though

I better check back then...

[EDIT] Better get to steppin on replacing this battery *gulp*

Edited by Mac Man Pro

I better check back then...

[EDIT] Better get to steppin on replacing this battery *gulp*

ah, don't worry so much about it. it's not really that bad, i had to get the battery on my macbook pro replaced a few weeks ago. it was actually a pretty painless process. plus, you get a new battery so if you were losing battery life, you get a new one. it's a pretty sweet deal.... minus the whole possibly catching on fire thing. haha

the one thing i forgot to mention was the batteries on recall are for models between October 2003 to August 2006

heres the actual apple article:

Apple Battery Recall

Edited by BlueDevilBball

iBook battery is ok. This is good news. One more upside to me getting a replacement battery is that the little rubber foot on my battery came off and the shell (where it curves up to match the shape of the rest of the computer) is a little bit bent out of shape. a new battery gets rid of the dent and gets me all four feet back.

So does anyone know why it would say "lithium ion" on my MacBook battery if it's supposed to be a lithium polymer battery?

Wikipedia is your friend...turns out there isn't a difference between the two...

i had to have mine replaced, the new one is working a lot better than the old one.

I hate to resurrect this topic but I hate it when people create a new thread to discuss something that could've otherwise fit somewhere else.

Anyways, my question is this: Is there a way we can track the progress of our battery replacements and maybe even somehow find out its whereabouts?

Anyways, my question is this: Is there a way we can track the progress of our battery replacements and maybe even somehow find out its whereabouts?

Absolutely not! I rang apple because I was moving country shortly after requesting a replacement, and I was told that Apple have forgone the whole tracking process so that they can optimize the process for the fastest possible turnaround.

Take a look at my earlier post for more details

http://forum.maccast.com/index.php?showtopic=8973

Edited by s03bf0c0