Sign in to follow this  
macosx.4

iMac G5 light

Hello. I have a iMac G5, which I bought two months ago, and when I put it into sleep mode, the light comes on blinking. It can be kind of annoying sometimes. Is there anyway to turn it off? Thanks.

Hello. I have a iMac G5, which I bought two months ago, and when I put it into sleep mode, the light comes on blinking. It can be kind of annoying sometimes. Is there anyway to turn it off? Thanks.
It isn't easy if there is, but it'd be interesting to know if anyone does!

The pulsating light, is almost a trademark of every mac. Its there to let you know that hey, i went to sleep, and its solid...hey im up and running. From what i know theres no way to turn it off, unless you go open it up and cut the contact that leads to the pulsating light. If it bothers you so much you could always use some of this:

ssc061.jpg

Hehe. I rarely put it to sleep. Normally I just shut down at night.

I was thinking of like doing some big diagnostic test or something, or one big software update, or downloading Xcode 2.1.

If you have a rev. a imac G5 loook what Apple has just release for you in Software Update:

The iMac G5 Sleep Light Update adjusts the brightness of your iMac G5 sleep indicator light so it's not as bright during the evening. The daytime brightness remains the same.

This update is installed in Applications > Utilities and should automatically launch. Click Update and follow the onscreen instructions to apply the update.

Note: Once the update has started, do not cancel or interrupt it. The updater takes over one minute to complete. During the update, your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes.

If you have a rev. B imac, then i believe this update is not for you since the rev. B have a a light sensor that knoows how bright to set the light and what not.

i downloaded it yesterday without any issue. You can notice the change. It was also cool to hear the fans at full during the install (never heard them do that before!)

I must have a rev. a because it's in my software update!

Thanks.

During the update, your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes.

--------------------------------------------- :shock: Oh boy! :( ----------------------------------

I'm scared.

My fans have done that and it doesn't sound good to me.

although the air coming out feels quite nice, don't 'cha think? :P